Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenies - my dog stopped liking them, has this happened to anyone else?

11K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
I waited until my puppy was 6 months old to start giving him Greenies 'cause that's what the package says. I have several friends who give their dogs them and they all love them. At first my dog did too - acted like it was a special treat and went off and devoured it. After about a week though he lost interest, he'd take it and then go off and leave it on the floor and doesn't even touch it. Has anyone else had this experience? Should I be worried or getting another type of thing for his teeth? He's just a puppy so who knows his taste buds might change but I do want to do something for his teeth. I tried brushing them but that doesn't seem to work very well. He clamps down and refuses to let me get near him with the toothbrush.

#4 ·
My puppy loves treats, so I don't think it's that but he does get finicky about them sometimes. I've had trouble with training sometimes because a treat he used to like won't motivate him that much anymore. Though he'll usually go by and eat it off the floor later if I leave it there. He won't with the Greenie. But the comment that he he might want a change is probably right on. Does anyone know of an alternative treat that's good for their teeth?

#6 ·
My dog stopped eating her greenies too very strange she used to love them. Any idea what it might be? I brush her teeth everyday and used the greenie as a reward. But now she doesn’t even take it after I brush her teeth. My other dog still loves them and their sisters? Puzzling

#7 ·
Has a vet checked her teeth lately? It's possible that she's got a lose tooth or something that is bothering her. It's also possible that she's just decided she doesn't like them any more, but I'd have her teeth checked before assuming that.

Reactions: Tater33
#10 ·
My mom's dog had 26 teeth pulled about two years ago. He is a little malti/poo. When the vet told me her teeth were bad I said " but we give her greenies every day." The vet said they do not work and are a waste of money. She recommended these and the little guy loves them.

#12 ·
My girl Rosie loved them the first few we gave her and we were only doing one every couple of days but after maybe 4 or 5 she stoped enjoying them too. Shed reluctantly take it and would just find a place to put it down on her bed and wouldnt really touch it. We have a few other types of treats we give her so I dont know why she doesnt like them anymore. She will devour all her other treats.

#14 ·
This thread is from 2013 and the original poster hasn't been active on this forum in years, so I'm closing this thread to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread about greenies if you'd like! You can also join in any of our current discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.