Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had two girls spayed at a spay-neuter clinic. The vet marked the incision site with some sort of green dye and they now have a 1.5 inch green line on their bellies.

I've never seen this before . . . but then I was abroad for 15 years. Is this now a regular practice? I can see the point; I've heard a few stories of clinics opening a girl up and finding she'd already been done. Seems a better solution than the ear tattoo.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Yeah, both of the dogs and the cat I've had spayed recently (in the past few years) have the green line tattoo.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Zoey had it when she was spayed at the shelter 3 years ago.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Seems to be a shelter/lclinic thing. . .my friend's dog has it (she was spayed by the HS).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My HS spay/neuter clinic spayed girls don't but they were tattooed in the ear with the clinic initials, same purpose I assume

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
that would infuriate me... roxie has very little fur in her ears and i wouldn't want to see that all the time.
t isn't noticeable without looking for it, but looks ridiculous the first 2 weeks as they coat the ENTIRE ear in green dye! It eventually just fades out to a a dotted line RHS, its big but dotted and green so its honestly far less noticable then the ID tats my other dogs have in their ears.

Screenshot_2015-04-11-15-21-50-1.jpg

This is what Gyp looked like for 2 weeks! Gem's ears were floppier(was younger) so you barely saw it but Gyp? Jeeze lol

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I recently had two girls spayed at a spay-neuter clinic. The vet marked the incision site with some sort of green dye and they now have a 1.5 inch green line on their bellies.

I've never seen this before . . . but then I was abroad for 15 years. Is this now a regular practice? I can see the point; I've heard a few stories of clinics opening a girl up and finding she'd already been done. Seems a better solution than the ear tattoo.
Josefina has the same thing from the shelter we adopted her from.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
It is common....

I do not know the exact story behind it but how it started... But now spay scars can be so small and neat that it leaves evidence that anyone can tell they have been spayed.

certainly do not want to go in twice.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Yep. Eva was spayed as an adult/full grown at a low cost clinic (shelter dog) and while I can see no evidence of scarring, I can see the green line. Great idea IMO, the spay scars disappear so quickly and unlike the boys, there is no automatic external proof of being fixed

Even the female foster puppy that i had spayed lost any notable scarring within only a few weeks so its better to have that marked than be in doubt and open up a dog.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It is hard because you do not know if the scar can be from another surgery, With the rehoming/adoption rate sometimes it is best to be safe than sorry. People often tell the new owners that the dog is current on vaccines and such. The new owner finds out that is not true. This is quite a common.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Our local low cost clinic does green tattoos for both spays and neuters. The clinic I work at just does them for shelter animals

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It makes sense to me that they just rub some tattoo ink into the incision---no equipment needed, and it doesn't need to look nice or anything---but my friend's dog has her green line a few inches away from the spay incision (she had been spayed only a few days before being adopted so the incision was clearly visible). So they must have a tattoo gun at that shelter. Now that I think of it, that seems unsanitary/impractical. Either they sanitize the tattoo gun between patients (impractical) or they don't (unsanitary). Ewww. Or maybe they just made a small cut with the scalpel and rubbed the ink into that. Hmm. Now I want to ask them how they do that :p.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
They don't want ink in the incision because it could get into the body cavity/too deep and cause some serious infection issues. They don't use a gun for the line tattoos here. They basically, lightly, score the skin and ink it. It isn't deep at all. Like, on mine it hasn't even been enough for them to be any blood at all. I could probably have scrubbed it out pre-healing and had it vanish.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like CptJack said, at school we just use the back of the scalpel blade to make a shallow scratch beside the incision and then blot the ink on. It's done as soon as we're finished closing the incision so the animal doesn't even notice. Other places may have a different procedure, but that's ours. All of our spay/neuter animals come from shelters and this is a university setting, so I don't know if it's commonly done in private practices on owned animals around here.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
OK, that makes sense.

I do think it's a good idea to identify all spayed animals somehow. And, of course, it doesn't mean much if there's no uniformity---everyone has to agree on what it means. The green line seems like a good one. Hard to see on cats but better than nothing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts