Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 30 gal. tank which suddenly had a green algae bloom. I haven't had this happen for at least 10 years. Is there a way to control this and clear the water without chemicals? Would anyone suggest a complete start over of the tank and to chlorinate everything? I know the algae is good for the fish.....but I have been doing partial water changes weekly with no luck and the water is very cloudy.

I only use a de-chlorinator and aquarium salt as I have gold fish.

Advice would be greatly appreciated of anyone is knowledgeable of this problem. :)

EDIT: I guess I am going to have to start the tank over. I just cannot stand looking at it anymore! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you haven't yet started over... ;) a couple questions:

is the algae in the water, on the walls, or both?

is the tank getting more light (from the window OR the light bulbs) than it used to?

Have you always been keeping goldfish?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you haven't yet started over... ;) a couple questions:

is the algae in the water, on the walls, or both?

is the tank getting more light (from the window OR the light bulbs) than it used to?

Have you always been keeping goldfish?

Yup....I tore it down yesterday. :(

I have been keeping goldfish since I was 17 years old......a very long while.
I keep my aquarium away from windows....as I understand the properties of algae......but have not had an algae bloom for a lot of years. I wonder if it came from the koi food? I normally use just flakes instead of pellets. I did have to replace the hood last month. It was really old and it couldn't even be fixed with a new starter.

The algae was just on the rocks and starting on the gravel (green algae) I had some brown ugly algae starting on the walls. I had both. The fish are waiting patiently for their house to be fixed. :)

Maybe you have some advice if it happens again. I am running straight chlorinated water for 24 hours. If I must.....I guess I will have to get some algae destroyer....as I know it works very well. I would just like to avoid this stuff because of the water not being able to be put into the sewer. It also isn't good to put it into the water table. :(

·
Registered
462 Posts
Are you running chlorinated water through your filter? If so you will have a bit of new tank syndrome to deal with since the chlorine will kill off good bacteria. Some things that can help with algae blooms are to turn off the lights, stop feeding the fish for a couple of days, and frequent large water changes. You basically want to starve the algae.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you running chlorinated water through your filter? If so you will have a bit of new tank syndrome to deal with since the chlorine will kill off good bacteria. Some things that can help with algae blooms are to turn off the lights, stop feeding the fish for a couple of days, and frequent large water changes. You basically want to starve the algae.
Thank you......yes I hate the new tank syndrome. It has been 24 hours and I just put de-chlorinator in it. I always use aquarium salt for my goldfish. They stay very very healthy this way. Never have any diseases. Tomorrow I will add the salt. The goldfish are in another container (huge one) and will be able to wait until I have it all under control. But then there will be a spike in ammonia after they are added back to the aquarium. This I keep close tab on.

If this happens again I will surely try your advice.......thanks again! :) It is not good to tear a tank down once it has been established. Yes.....I killed off all the good bacteria. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could simply be that your new hood puts out just a little more light than the old one. I don't think the koi food is causing more algae, because pellets tend to be cleaner and produce less waste than flakes. If it gets bad, you can also try a uv sterilizer. They are kinda expensive up front but the do a great job of destroying algae before it grows too much.

On a side note, are you using floating pellets? Because for goldfish it is much safer to use a sinking food.

Good luck with the new setup!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you zoogirl - I was using floating koi food. I switched to a different food....the pellets. :) You are correct about the hood light. I usually partially paint the glass on top directly under the hood bulb with a blue/green tint to diffuse the light. I had not done that yet. I was not even thinking about it! :) I better get busy painting!

I do not grow plants.....goldfish just destroy them. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How many do you have in there? What size? Algae blooms can happen because of excessive levels of nitrates, and goldfish are notoriously high-bio-load fish.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many do you have in there? What size? Algae blooms can happen because of excessive levels of nitrates, and goldfish are notoriously high-bio-load fish.
I only have 7 now and four of them are 1-1/2 inch and the others are maybe close to 3 inch each now. I did not have this issue until I added the one Koi. I know Koi have a different digestive system( they actually do not have a stomach so I was taught)...they put food in one end and it passes through out their other end fairly fast. They just absorb the nutrients. Therefore they tend to have more waste than their cousins. This could account for this also? Maybe my koi will have to go to my Sister's pond this spring. :(

Goldfish also need 2 gallons of water for every inch of body size in order for it to be an ideal environment. So, a 30 gallon tank, to be ideal should be able to support 15 one inch Goldfish. I have successfully kept them for many years....but I also noticed since I moved to where I am living now 9 years ago.....our water is totally different in respect to clarity. There is a separate water plant here that we use than from the city water system near by. It has been a battle here for my aquarium keeping. :(

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I wouldn't think that a koi's digestive system would be any different from that of a goldfish. They're basically the same species. They are fast-growing little piggies, though.

I think you're pushing the bio load a bit if you go with the "2 gallons per inch of fish" rule. You have 15 inches of fish now so it's pretty much maxed out. Goldfish and koi grow so big so fast that it doesn't take long. The koi probably should go to the pond as soon as it's warm enough. . .they can get to 3 feet long, and usually reach 1 foot fairly quickly. Are the goldfish fancies or comets?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't think that a koi's digestive system would be any different from that of a goldfish. They're basically the same species. They are fast-growing little piggies, though.

I think you're pushing the bio load a bit if you go with the "2 gallons per inch of fish" rule. You have 15 inches of fish now so it's pretty much maxed out. Goldfish and koi grow so big so fast that it doesn't take long. The koi probably should go to the pond as soon as it's warm enough. . .they can get to 3 feet long, and usually reach 1 foot fairly quickly. Are the goldfish fancies or comets?
The 4 goldfish are just common comets. Only one Koi. Two Shubunkins. I knew sooner or later I would have to turn them over to the pond.....just not so soon! :( I have had them for 2 years, all except for the koi. He has only been here a few months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts