Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have been reading up on Swissies for a few weeks now. We currently have a labrador retriever, and are looking for an addition!

Can anyone tell me about their personalities? Habits? Anything else of interest? : ) They look gorgeous and seem to have a good disposition.

Also, we have invisible fencing, has anyone had problems with Swissies with that type of fencing?

Thank you so much!
Christina

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
We looked at them. It can be a long wait. We looked at 2 gorgeous sires up in the Sierras-- they are ALOT of dog. Maybe not quite as active as a lab puppy but a whole lot bigger. Probably a female to start with what is the gender of your lab.
Ended up going with Berner (so far so good)-- havent ruled out the Swissie for the future... but getting on a wait list now, and you might get one in a couple of years or so, but then we are in CA- where are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our lab is a 6 year old female...does that mean we should get a male?

We live in Ohio, and there are a few breeders within a few hours of us. There is even one in our home town. (This breeder has an objection to invisible fencing, and that is why I asked about anyone's experience)

Berners were/are on our short list as well. How's their personalities? I have only interacted with a couple. Their longer hair is honestly the only thing that puts them behind a Swissie.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
We looked at them. It can be a long wait. We looked at 2 gorgeous sires up in the Sierras-- they are ALOT of dog. Maybe not quite as active as a lab puppy but a whole lot bigger. Probably a female to start with what is the gender of your lab.
Ended up going with Berner (so far so good)-- havent ruled out the Swissie for the future... but getting on a wait list now, and you might get one in a couple of years or so, but then we are in CA- where are you?
I'm sorry I can't help on the situation, but I am also curious about Berners considering I really want one :) they look so sweet and I just love big dogs and don't mind the fur. I've done more research on berners than GSMDs so I would like a brief description of both and their pro's and con's and important info on them both. Please it would be very helpful even though I don't plan to get one for more than a few years but they are very high on my list of dogs to share my life with.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have a half Bernese (her mother was purebred, her father a neighborhood dog) but there are quite a few Bernese in our area. They all seem friendly and as most of them I have seen at either Obedience classes or at Agility, they do not seem that hard to train but seem to have a bit of a mind of their own. I really like the look of them, especially their coloring. Susie is brown, not the typical Bernese coloring but is a great dog although she is nine this year and does not get around that great now. She sure does shed all year round though.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Our lab is a 6 year old female...does that mean we should get a male?

We live in Ohio, and there are a few breeders within a few hours of us. There is even one in our home town. (This breeder has an objection to invisible fencing, and that is why I asked about anyone's experience)

Berners were/are on our short list as well. How's their personalities? I have only interacted with a couple. Their longer hair is honestly the only thing that puts them behind a Swissie.
Well I am jealous then, there were maybe 4 breeders in driving distance but actual litters not very many (and one entire litter save 1 pup the breeder kept, died during the Csection, very tragic), from what I can see the Berners are more outgoing than the swissies and just loveable goofy dogs with their families... Both breeds can be reserved with strangers, and I know its a fault but have seen a few shy Berners, and my male is actually a good watch dog (not guard dog, watch dog) and was starting to react to male dogs-- but that is common to the males in both breeds I think. Swissies seem more serious to me-- and the studs I saw were truly awe inspiring (and actually, probably too much dog for me-- with my sweet Berner I realized there is a lot to having a giant breed dog, for ex they can just sit down and passively resist if they dont want to do something... and we had boxers and a giant schnauzer, that extra 20lbs plus in size makes a difference) Theres a Swissie owner on DF's her dogs name is Caeda, dont know where the OP is lately....
Dont find the shedding that big a deal with my Berner but hes mainly an outdoor dog and comes in at night....
I think maybe(?) the Swissies have fewer genetic diseases, probably b/c they havent really caught on as much in popularity..... But I do know that if you look online you can buy either breed readily and have it shipped--- but I think those ads looked like puppy mill dogs to me.....

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Hello!!!

Dunno... try googling?
For researches???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Swiss_Mountain_Dog
http://www.gsmdca.org/
http://www.greaterswissmountaindogs.org/swissies/Welcome.html
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greaterswissmountain.htm

etc??

Try breed specific forums and read what other owners say about their dogs an or issues they have??
The dog breed owners themselves will know what living with one is like.

http://www.showdog.com/login/Breeds/philboard_forum.aspx?forumid=305
http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/105944-greater-swiss-mountain-dog.html

Good luck!!!

Roman.
"Hunka hunka love"
P1030573.jpg P1030387.jpg
P1030389.jpg Romani.jpg
Romansit!.jpg Romanii.jpg

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
O BTW, is your lab pretty easygoing? Cause then I dont think the gender of the new pup matters so much (but be prepared for the more dominant breed to end up being the boss-- we did that to our sweet Boxer female, and our giant schnauzer pup- female ended up running the show....)...
Also with the giant breeds keep in mind that the giant breeds, espec the homestead guardians tend to mature at a much later age then other breeds--
for ex our Berner boy was sweet as pie at 9, 10, 11 months, but started to be more protective and have some male dog aggression at 14 months of age and is still a puppy in alot of ways at 18 months.
I also talked to a professional dog walker with an 11 month old grt pyr- akbash bitch that talked about his female puppy starting to mature into some dominance/aggression issues right about that age...
That said, the Swissies I run into (there are 4 at my dog walk) arent a super handful or anything like that, once they have matured.... but maturity can take awhile...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bernermax! Very helpful.

Huey, I have googled extensively and spoke to several breeders. I am just trying to be thorough with selecting our next dog.

Have a great evening

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Well I am jealous then, there were maybe 4 breeders in driving distance but actual litters not very many (and one entire litter save 1 pup the breeder kept, died during the Csection, very tragic), from what I can see the Berners are more outgoing than the swissies and just loveable goofy dogs with their families... Both breeds can be reserved with strangers, and I know its a fault but have seen a few shy Berners, and my male is actually a good watch dog (not guard dog, watch dog) and was starting to react to male dogs-- but that is common to the males in both breeds I think. Swissies seem more serious to me-- and the studs I saw were truly awe inspiring (and actually, probably too much dog for me-- with my sweet Berner I realized there is a lot to having a giant breed dog, for ex they can just sit down and passively resist if they dont want to do something... and we had boxers and a giant schnauzer, that extra 20lbs plus in size makes a difference) Theres a Swissie owner on DF's her dogs name is Caeda, dont know where the OP is lately....
Dont find the shedding that big a deal with my Berner but hes mainly an outdoor dog and comes in at night....
I think maybe(?) the Swissies have fewer genetic diseases, probably b/c they havent really caught on as much in popularity..... But I do know that if you look online you can buy either breed readily and have it shipped--- but I think those ads looked like puppy mill dogs to me.....
Thank you very much Berner I just wanted to know from someone who actually is in contact with the breed :) I still love Berners the best i think :) If the online buying thing was directed to me I think I'll just go with a breeder that I can actually visit. If it wasn't directed towards me please disregard. I like the goofier kind of dog and Berners seem to just be able to be that way naturally.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thank you very much Berner I just wanted to know from someone who actually is in contact with the breed :) I still love Berners the best i think :) If the online buying thing was directed to me I think I'll just go with a breeder that I can actually visit. If it wasn't directed towards me please disregard. I like the goofier kind of dog and Berners seem to just be able to be that way naturally.
The online buying thing -- wasnt directed to you at all!
Just that in my desperation when I was in full fledged puppy fever, I did look online and this being America you can get what you want whenever you want... but I tend to be suspicious of online ads that advertize super young pups from the South and midwest.. I would never buy from a puppy mill and do not want to support that practice.... And it was frustrating, the Swissies I bump into tend to be walked by dogwalkers (in SF) and they dont know where the dogs were acquired from, although this being SF, one set of people, had gotten their pup from Switzerland, and were kind of standoffish and didnt want to chat ... (Odd in the world of dog people)....

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Ok :) i just would rather wait ta get a quality dog instead of instant gratification

1 - 12 of 12 Posts