Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this dog since she was 9 weeks old. She was raised on a farm with little social interactions. Her parents were a Great Dane black lab and a purebred greater Swiss mountain dog. I had walked her 3 times a day for the first day 6 months and lived a 5 minute walk from a dog park that she LOVES so she knew that’s where we would be going. Well one day around 6 months, she decided she did not want to leave the property. In a car she was happy to go anywhere, would walk in foreign places, but now at nearly 2 years old she still refuses to leave a 2 house radius if she knows where her house is. I have tried so many things to try to encourage her. I’ve tried being stern, patient, sometimes she would agree to walk but 95% of the time she will not. I’m assuming her behaviour might have something to do with Greater Swiss mountain dogs being live stock guardians and she feels insecure without her whole family with her. Any time she does decide she is okay with going for a walk, my girlfriend or sister have to be with us and she will not go with just one person almost ever. I guess I’m just looking for someone who may have had a dog with this behaviour and a creative approach to how to fix it. Only thing I can think of is trying to find someone with a confident dog in my neighbourhood to join us on walks so she feels safe but even that has not always worked and we have moved from a place where there were others with young dogs. We have a great relationship, I am her person and she is as attentive as a young Swissy would be with an owner but she’s on her own mission to alert me of whatever she does not trust and I’m unable to figure out how to rest her mind and be a dog.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts