Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I can't think of anywhere that requires a leash on the owner's property. If the landlord's dogs are still on his property, then they probably don't have to be leashed. HOWEVER, if the property is 100% rented to your father-in-law (as in, it's not a shared property with two houses but rather separate lots), then for the time frame that it is being rented to him, it is HIS.

California is generally fairly tenant friendly and provides a lot of rights to the tenant in the sense that except for emergencies and with proper notice etc, the landlord can't enter the property- it isn't "his" while it is rented in terms of privacy and right of use. Which means that the dogs "off property" and either trespassing or violating leash laws if they exist. There are some tenant legal guides online; if you've become a tenant under CA law then you should have some strong rights. A call to Legal Aid might not hurt.

In my city, there are no leash laws on private property where the dog has the permission of the owner (or on its own property of course), but if a dog or cat is on the property of another person without consent and a resident dog attacks it, it doesn't make the resident dog "vicious" (a vicious dog here in the city has a whole bunch of regulations that come with controlling it like 4 ft leash, locked enclosure etc). Basically, it is a presumption of innocence for the resident dog.

Personally, if I could find an alternative RV location, I would talk to the landlord and ask for my money back in regards to the safety of everyone involved. Even without leash laws, generally the unrestrained dog will be considered the aggressor if it seems like a "fair fight" (as in, big dog vs big dog not "scary pit bull vs yorkie")- not a legal opinion, just observation.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
If you want to go with temporary fencing- you can set up a fairly large fence using the welded wire farm fencing and t-posts. 2 rolls of 50 ft welded wire runs about $60 at Lowes/Home Depot; makes an approx 25 ft square area. Don't bother with a gate, just angle it a little to leave a small gap to walk through and you can stand to block the gap while using the fenced area. Heavy duty no-dig t-posts are about $6/each and you'd want 8 or so (each corner plus midpoints). For a little more than $100, you have a fairly sturdy fenced area and you can take it down when you leave and use it later or sell the materials on craigslist.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts