Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's been a little while since I've been on here. Reason for that is we recently traveled to northern California in our RV where we had big plans to spend the summer with my father in-law. He's currently renting a house that sits on the edge of a huge canyon (the views are absolutely amazing). The Landlord lives in house next door which is a little ways up the street, and gave us permission to park our RV at my father in-laws place with our dogs while we visit. This was all suppose to be awesome, but we've run into an issue.

The Landlord has two large dogs, a HUGE black lab mix, and a boxer, that they allow to roam everywhere. The dogs run all over the yard, up the road, into the canyon, etc. My own personal thoughts behind this aside, I wouldn't really care, except this has caused issues with my dogs. A couple days ago, I took Charlotte outside on a leash to go to the bathroom, when the two dogs came running up. I shouted at them to get away, but it did nothing. The lab approached Charlotte, got in her face, and sure enough Charlotte lunged and the two started fighting. It only lasted a couple of seconds, before the lab turned and trotted off, but it left a deep bloody wound in Charlotte's chin. Nothing that won't heal on it's own, but still. That was simply us taking her outside to go to the bathroom.

We tried talking to my father in-law about this, and his attitude, as well as the attitude of the landlord is basically he doesn't own the property (no, but you ARE paying money to stay there), the dogs there have always roamed, and that isn't going to change, and that it's Charlotte's fault for not liking strange dogs and we should somehow train her to not be aggressive.... I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen. We've worked with her to where she can suppress and tolerate dogs in passing, but if a dog get's in her face, she's going to react, and honestly, I don't blame her. It's not something she should have to put up with.

Personally, I'd like to leave, but it's not that easy. We have money tied into where we are at this moment and can't leave until September. I'm researching the leash laws online, so should/when something happens, I'll know our rights, but am having trouble finding specific laws for this area. I keep hearing mixed things about them from other people. Some say there are leash laws here, and others say there isn't a law, but it's more a courtesy thing.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I can't think of anywhere that requires a leash on the owner's property. If the landlord's dogs are still on his property, then they probably don't have to be leashed. HOWEVER, if the property is 100% rented to your father-in-law (as in, it's not a shared property with two houses but rather separate lots), then for the time frame that it is being rented to him, it is HIS.

California is generally fairly tenant friendly and provides a lot of rights to the tenant in the sense that except for emergencies and with proper notice etc, the landlord can't enter the property- it isn't "his" while it is rented in terms of privacy and right of use. Which means that the dogs "off property" and either trespassing or violating leash laws if they exist. There are some tenant legal guides online; if you've become a tenant under CA law then you should have some strong rights. A call to Legal Aid might not hurt.

In my city, there are no leash laws on private property where the dog has the permission of the owner (or on its own property of course), but if a dog or cat is on the property of another person without consent and a resident dog attacks it, it doesn't make the resident dog "vicious" (a vicious dog here in the city has a whole bunch of regulations that come with controlling it like 4 ft leash, locked enclosure etc). Basically, it is a presumption of innocence for the resident dog.

Personally, if I could find an alternative RV location, I would talk to the landlord and ask for my money back in regards to the safety of everyone involved. Even without leash laws, generally the unrestrained dog will be considered the aggressor if it seems like a "fair fight" (as in, big dog vs big dog not "scary pit bull vs yorkie")- not a legal opinion, just observation.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you (and the landlord's dogs) are on the landlord's personal property, I don't think a leash law would be enforcable

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That's a tough one.... if you can afford to camp elsewhere, I'd do that, doesn't sound like you'e going to get far with the two of them. Unless the property line extends near where you are and you can high tail it across the property line to walk the dogs and then report it to bylaw that the dogs are off the property and loose. Other than that, a cattle prod might change the dog's minds about charging up to yours if it's the only option.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Can you set up some kind of temporary fencing just around the entrance of the RV for potty breaks? Like a tall ex-pen or something? I know it's a drag, but at least it would give you a safe potty place and you could leave the property and the dogs behind for hikes or whatnot.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think the x pen or fencing is the way to go. I would not get into a power struggle with the landlord as he has the right to say "no dogs " on the rental agreement and then you will be SOL as far as being able to stay there. There may be leash laws in the area you are in, but he is the landlord and can change the rules about the dogs being there, unless you maybe have something in writing stipulating that you can have the dogs there,

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
If you want to go with temporary fencing- you can set up a fairly large fence using the welded wire farm fencing and t-posts. 2 rolls of 50 ft welded wire runs about $60 at Lowes/Home Depot; makes an approx 25 ft square area. Don't bother with a gate, just angle it a little to leave a small gap to walk through and you can stand to block the gap while using the fenced area. Heavy duty no-dig t-posts are about $6/each and you'd want 8 or so (each corner plus midpoints). For a little more than $100, you have a fairly sturdy fenced area and you can take it down when you leave and use it later or sell the materials on craigslist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts