Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Great Dog for Beginners and Apartments!

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  aiw 
We were looking for a rescue with nearly the same criteria except we didn't care about length of hair (otherwise I'd recommend an American Eskimo!) and we also live in a much, much colder place (so all of the breeds that I've researched are cold-hardy and probably wouldn't do great in the Mojave desert!). PetFinder is really interesting to look at, and might give you a better idea of the kinds of rescue dogs in Nevada (although being only 1 hour from CA gives you a lot more options as well!)

I totally appreciate your concern regarding mixed breeds... and I think what other posters are trying to say is that when rescuing a dog you can't exclude one based on breed alone. Additionally, most shelters can give you a pretty good idea of what breeds went into the dog, and they sometimes even do DNA tests to determine the most likely breeds. You can also buy DNA tests yourself - they cost about $60 here. If you limit your seach only to purebred dogs (or even specific crosses) it will limit your options HUGELY, as most dogs in shelters/rescues are mixed-breeds.

Shelters will know the weight of the dog, as the dogs should get a basic physical exams on entering the shelter, and again upon adoption. (Is there any wiggle room in the weight? E.g. will a 51lb dog who may be overweight and put on a diet be disallowed?)

I also recommend getting an adult dog, especially if you've never owned a dog before. Younger dogs require a lot more training, and some adult shelter dogs actually come from decent homes (surrendered because of moving, illness, death, etc.) and could already have a surprising amount of training. Again, something the shelter staff or volunteers will have an idea about.

I'm new to dogs myself and others probably have better advice/more experience with these breeds, but you might want to look in to:

- Cocker Spaniel
- Standard Schnauzers are technically terriers, but they tend to be more laid back than other breeds.
- Basset Hound
- Labrador retrievers - shelters sometimes have small "underbred" Labs, or lab crosses (With pretty much anything!). I've seen some purebred labs under 40lbs at 2+ years old, but labs often have a LOT of energy so it would depend on the individual.
- Tibetan Terrier - despite the name, are not actually terriers. I have no experience with this breed, but everything I've read indicates they'd fit.. also they're cute as sin.
- A Whippet or Italian Greyhound

Lastly, there are literally thousands of dog breeds.... don't pick a dog based solely on what people on the internet say. When you find the right dog, you'll know it regardless of breed or colour. :)

I did just retake the Discovery dog breed quiz, (and they have snippets of info on there for dogs) the results were: Clicky here! <3
That seems like a much better quiz than others I've taken.

I don't know much about most of those breeds, but border collies and Australian cattle dogs need LOTS of exercise and mental stimulation. They are very smart and were bred to run sheep all day. I LOVE both of them (I fall in love every time a heeler comes through the shelter). Even though you'll be able to give them attention/exercise all day for the first few months, you should also think about further down the line. A lower energy dog will be able to cope better than one with very high energy levels if their exercise is suddenly halved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.