Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, Im not getting a Great Dane right now:( But I eventually will have one one day. I have researched them a lot and I have always wanted one. I know that they are huge and (the most common comment I get, they make a lot of poop....:rolleyes: Thats not an issue with me) will cost more money to feed and for vet bills. My main question is about slobber though:p

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
lol...not too long ago a friend was talking about wanting a dane and wanting to take it on roadtrips...

I was like "hun...you drive a smart car.."

she said "What's that have to do with anything?"

I couldn't stop laughing at the mental image. :p

not much help...your post just reminded me of it..

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
My cousin's Dane I can't say is slobbery. He's actually pretty clean as dogs go. But I will say you'll need to be up to speed on bloat concerns.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Here is one warning. If a human adult male is going to approach a great dane to pet it make sure that if the human male is anywhere near the wagging tail that he is in a position with his back to the tail. If he is facing the side of the dog near the wagging tail the human male could wind up on the floor in a great amount of pain. :eek:

I will let you use your imagination to guess why. ;)

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, yeah, I know I'll probably get a lot of comments from people about having a huge dog. And I drive a Chevy Tracker 2 door, at the moment..... http://www.atozautolights.com/images/AutoPhotos/CHTR9904.jpg I think a Great Dane would fit in the back with the back seats down.....Yeah that should work.

My cousin's Dane I can't say is slobbery. He's actually pretty clean as dogs go. But I will say you'll need to be up to speed on bloat concerns.
Thats good to know, I know it has to do with the their lips, if they have pendulous lips or not whether they slobber a lot or a little.

I know all about bloat and that if a Dane shows signs of it thats an emergency trip to the vet, no waiting! I also know there is controversy over whether the elevated bowls help or not or even increase the risk....I dont know what I think, except Im sure it's easier for them to eat from an elevated bowl.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
To prevent bloat: http://www.brake-fast.net/
They come in an XL size for big dogs, but DON'T base the size you get on the size of the dog. Base it on the size of the meal you feed.

I find that my border collie with her narrow snout can get around the bumps. I should have gotten the toy breed size, even though she's 40lbs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
They don't tend to be slobbery, especially if well-bred.

They have major health issues though and are considered geriatric by the time they hit about 6 years old. Hip Dysplasia, Wobbler's Syndrome, and Bloat are all major issues within the breed. They can also have very shy personalities unless you make sure to get one from a good breeder OR you get an adult from a reputable rescue that has already temperament tested.

You also should read up on raising a giant breed dog, it's a bit different from a regular pup. You need to limit their exercise for much longer since they are much slower to mature. There is also a lot of thinking that because of the way hormones affect bone growth that they should not be spayed until the first heat or neutered until at least a year old. I can point you to some info on that if you are interested.

Because of their size it's important to be vigilant about their training from a very young age. It won't be long until it becomes dangerous if they pull on the leash or jump up to greet people.

All in all I think they are absolutely wonderful dogs and I love all of the ones that come into work. I personally passed by them though because of the extremely pervasive health issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My friend has a dane, I have an Irish Wolfhound.
They are both giant dogs although my friends is a female.

It doesn't tend to have slobbering issues. At least not hers.

Being large is a concern, you have to have alot of space.
Poops are big but if you are going to pick up a poop these ones are way easier to find :rolleyes:

Short life span and health issues.

I drive a Monte Carlo, Jake my IW fits nicely into the back seat. He doesn't fit into my hubby's truck, nor can he get in it.

My girlfriends dane is dog aggressive, but we are working on that. She is fine at my house with my dogs without her muzzle now. But cannot be trusted at all with any other dogs.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Yeah, the two obvious things about Danes are the short lifespan/health issues, and the size. They're some of the sweetest, gentlest dogs around, but they're also stronger & faster than most humans, so you have to be make sure you never get into a contest of wills.

I never noticed any slobber, but one of my favorite dogs in the neighborhood is a Dane who thinks my face is her personal salt lick. Of course, greeting her by kneeling down, clapping my hands and yelling "Come here, Elle! Give me a kiss!" may possibly have something to do with it, too.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I've often wanted a Dane, but I've always feared dogs that outweigh me. I've always been afraid that I would forget to feed them and they'd eat me. I remember looking at a house one time when I was house hunting. There was a dog looking in the kitchen window. He literally had his head on the window sill watching us. I was curious what he was standing on as I was concerned that kids or possibly burglars could stand there as well and spy on me if I bought the house. I walked around back to discover a Great Dane standing on all four feet just peeping away.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that makes me feel a lot better knowing that a lot of Danes arent slobbery. Especially since I want to get one from a really good breeder (Puppy or adult, I dont know). I've seen those Breakfast bowls before, I didnt think about them for helping with bloat, thanks for the tip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts