Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dane was just diagnosed with stage 1 heartworms..

My vet wants to treat him for 700$ with shots and so forth..

I heard or read about a heartguard treatment? and was curious if anyone know what that was?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I'm correct in assuming that you're talking about this:

This is NOT a heartworm treatment, it is a preventative, meant to be given to the dog monthly to prevent heartworms.

If the money is what you're concerned about, your vet can probably work out a payment plan with you, or you can always take him to another vet for an estimate on the treatment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was reading on this forum about a diffrent kind of treatment that they were given them a pill??

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Giving Heartgard monthly for a very long time can cure Heartworm. It is what we use in our rescue situation on the Reservation where taking all of the heartworm positive dogs in to a clinic for treatment is just simply NOT possible. It is vets that I work with on this project and that recommend this treatment. We have had very good results but it takes over a year often times to get a negative result. The results are always better in dogs with a lighter parasite load then a dog that has a heavier load. The general condition of the dog also is often a factor. We have had success though, even with dogs that were starving and had heavy loads. This is not the most recommended option but sometimes because of financial constraints it is an option. Talk with your vet to see what is recommended for your dog. It is a case of something is definitely better then nothing. Good Luck to you. I hope your dog can recover quickly.

Edit: Sorry wanted to add that they will usually give one dose of Drontal wormer first.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Also, if you want to go the Ivemactin based treatment road, ask the vet about liquid ivermectin, given in low doses. It's much more cost effective than the Heartgaurd, but it has to be closely supervised by your vet. It's very similar to the treatment for Demodex mange, but I think half the amount is given daily.

DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR OWN!!!!!! IT MUST BE UNDER THE SUPERVSION OF A VET IF USING IVERMECTIN IN ANY FORM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts