Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JAX is our Merel Great Dane who is just now 3 1/2 months old. We were looking at pictures of him from the day we got him all the way up to now in true amazement! He has grown from an 8 week weight of 16.5lbs to 40lbs at 14 weeks old. He is an absolute HOSS and without photos it would be hard to truly see how he has changed so quickly!!! He is going to be a very big boy and has the best temperament of any of my Great Danes I have ever raised. Here are pics of his before and after in this short time! I would love to see other dogs progress in their first few months and how they grew and changed as well! BDJAX2.jpg merel3002.jpg BRANDJAX12.5.jpg jax14weeks.jpg ears.jpg

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Handsome boy.

I'm assuming you are still posting his ears? It might just be the angle the picture is taken from, but it looks like he has pockets starting in both ears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the compliment! Yes, in the pictures he is just between wraps. It was the day the vet removed the wrap post surgery and said to leave them non-posted for a few days until his stitches were healed enough to remove. We did so, even though it killed me to leave them down knowing that it can add time to the overall process. We returned him to the vet for the removal of the stitches and they are taped and posted for only the second time as we speak. I will take him back to have the "3rd tape up" done by the vet in another week and take it on myself from there.

The vet and I both have been concerned about the "dimples" and wrinkles at the base of his ears. Mostly for fear of a less than perfect match. But he does seem to think they should stand just find and that the dimples have almost made the ears stand on their own immediately after surgery! This is exciting for me because in the past I have had a crop that took nearly 5 months to fully stand even and straight!

So long as they are even and stand on their own, Im ok with the tiny pits. Especially if it cuts out on stand time like the vet thinks may happen. I will continue to tape regardless of stance for the next 4-6 weeks and see if they remain even and the cartilage thickens up. My largest concern is making sure they dont cross when he gets excited or interested in something and raises his "eyebrows" lol.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tutorial! I like to see all the different methods out there. This is my 4th Dane and second time taping so hopefully it's like riding a bike lol. I have always had luck with using 3/4 backer rod with athletic and paper tape. I was lucky with my last one only taking about 10 weeks post surgery to completely stand on their own. I can't remember how many You tube vids i watched before gaining the confidence to do it myself but I do feel we got it down.

I wouldn't be too bothered by a "slight" turn in. I kinda think it does add a bit of character lol! We laugh all the time rite now between taping when he hears something and they perk up and head in directions of their own hahaha. It's a fun phase for sure that is missed when they get older. This breed grows so fast and lives such a short life......but Danes will always be a part of my life and I will always have one in the family. Jax has been a joy and made so many memories already.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Great looking pup.

Giant breeds for the first year really surprise you with just how fast the grow and the growth spurts they have. Sometimes it seems like you wake up the next morning and you can see they grew.

Would take some digging to find Mouse's pics and weights from those time frames, know when I brought him home at 8 weeks he was 20lbs and now a month and half short of 5yrs he stays around 215lbs.

Friend has Danes and I have a English Mastiff, it's funny the looks we get at times when we out walking them together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have always enjoyed the faces of people lighting up when I take my Dane on a walk lol. It's funny also how used to their size we get and how we forget that for most people, it's not really normal to live side by side with an indoor beast hahaha. I wish I had a tally for how many times I get some of the same comments. Like "do you have a saddle for that horse?" and "Is he walking you or are you walking him?" lol. I will never forget the time Thor, our last Dane who was a Harlequin and extremely tall and broad, saw his neighbor dog buddy being walked down the sidewalk at the end of our driveway and literally took my wife for a ride belly first down to his friend!!! Once I knew she was ok and laughing too....it was set in stone as one of our best memories with Thor even to this day.

I have always had a place in my heart for Mastiffs. At one point, I considered having a second Giant breed dog and getting a Daniff. I always regretted not getting him because a friend of ours got one from the litter and you wouldn't belive without seeing yourself how perfect those pups were. He grew just as tall as Thor if not a tad bit taller by 2 years old and he outweighed Thor by a solid 58lbs. He basically looked like a Great Dane but with the mass of a Mastiff! Still very tall and extremely lean with veins everywhere! You could only slightly see the Mastiff in him by his cheeks and face.

Only issue when getting a Daniff as a pup is you NEVER really know what they are going to look like or winch breed they will take after most. I have seen a few that just didn't look rite. Less than 30 inches tall with Dane legs and a massive Mastiff body lol. I would love to see some of your early and late pics of Your Mastiff and Your friends Danes if you find the time. Here is a picture of Thor, my previous Dane at about 2yrs old. Miss him so much. And another of Jax.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are pix of Jax at about 11 weeks old after ear crop. There is also one where he is on the kitchen island at exactly 11 weeks old before his crop. He can now stand on his back legs with his paws resting on that same island @ 14 weeks. Thor is the big guy there with the kiddos lol...MISS YOU BIG GUY!!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts