Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great Danes are my heart breed. I've never owned one but have wanted one since I was a child. I stopped myself from researching much about them until I knew I was ready to own one of these beautiful dogs (I was afraid I would be stupid and just get the first one I saw on impulse).

Now that I'm at a point in my life where I am ready (and able) for one, the research has started. I'm taking it super slow and I don't plan on adding a Dane to my family for at least a year, probably longer.

Currently, I'm in the process of looking at breeders. I would like to choose one early and spend some time getting to know the breeder and their dogs long before I actually get a puppy from them.

I've been looking at 3 breeders in my province (Ontario). I'm going to list them here. I want you guys to pick them apart for me (if you can). Please tell me what you like and don't like about them. Red flags. Anything you think would help me choose. If you think you know of a better breeder in Canada (Ontario would be preferable since I'm not a fan of shipping puppies), then please feel free to let me know.

Out of these three breeders, I do have a "favourite", but I want your opinions to see if I chose right (I'm still learning how to pick the right breeders)

http://www.bosworthdanes.com
http://www.dantry.ca/
http://www.sabradanes.com

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I don't know which health tests are relevant for Danes, so I'll leave that to someone else.

One thing I really didn't like about Dantry is that they have three litters this year, all born to the same stud (their dog). There's no way that one dog is the right stud for all of those girls and three litters at once is a lot (and I've heard Dane litters are hard to raise in general). While the same stud thing might not be a big issue if you just want a pet (though it does show the breeder might be a bit kennel blind) the three litters at once makes me think each puppy might not get as much socialization as it needs.

I liked the other two, though Sabra doesn't list a lot of info on how many dogs they have, how many litters etc so my opinion on them could change. I liked that the owner of Bosworth is so involved in local kennel clubs.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i am very close with a client whos dog comes to daycare, bred from Dantry danes. hes almost 6 months old right now and 75lbs. hes simply stunning. i have not looked much into those breeders though because I am not from canada. if you are willing to travel to the US though in NY (where i am from) there are a few very good breeders that i know.
www.debeaudanes.com - this is the breeder i am set up with and will be getting my next dane from. one of the pups from the last litter (of which i was supposed to get one from but did not have the money at the time to get another pup) comes to the dog park and is a friend of my dogs. hes a mantle and is stunning, very large and stocky boned, and very good temperament.
www.sundowndanes.com - this is another breeder i have looked at. i have worked with many of their pups and they have turned into wonderful dogs and very good looking. great level headed danes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks elrohwen. The 3 litters from the same sire this year kinda gave me a bad vibe as well. I actually emailed the breeder to ask about it. Still havn't heard back yet though. I AM just looking for a pet. I'm not interested in showing and definitely not interested in breeding.

Of the 3 I posted above, Bosworth was my favourite. But like I said, I'm still a newbie when it comes to checking out breeders which is why I asked for others opinions. Better safe than sorry lol.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am very close with a client whos dog comes to daycare, bred from Dantry danes. hes almost 6 months old right now and 75lbs. hes simply stunning. i have not looked much into those breeders though because I am not from canada. if you are willing to travel to the US though in NY (where i am from) there are a few very good breeders that i know.
www.debeaudanes.com - this is the breeder i am set up with and will be getting my next dane from. one of the pups from the last litter (of which i was supposed to get one from but did not have the money at the time to get another pup) comes to the dog park and is a friend of my dogs. hes a mantle and is stunning, very large and stocky boned, and very good temperament.
www.sundowndanes.com - this is another breeder i have looked at. i have worked with many of their pups and they have turned into wonderful dogs and very good looking. great level headed danes.
Thanks GreatDaneMom. I'm not ruling out US breeders yet. If it's the right breeder and the right dogs for me, I will travel pretty much anywhere. But if I CAN find a perfect breeder in Ontario/Canada, I would prefer it. But thanks for the links. I will check them out

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Just make sure that you get the full pedigree line - I'm looking at some of the sites you posted, along with others - and you can't see the pedigree background. That's a bit worrisome for me, but if they can provide it elsewhere - then I'm okay with that. I'd also look up the health testing yourself on the OFA website.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
just from glancing at the websites, stay away from sabra danes. theyre breeding merles, which is a big no no.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just from glancing at the websites, stay away from sabra danes. theyre breeding merles, which is a big no no.
Thanks. I'm not 100% sure yet which colours are acceptable/standard in Danes. Still learning. I do know my favourites are Blue and Harlequin. I also really like Brindle (which I believe is an acceptable colour).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just make sure that you get the full pedigree line - I'm looking at some of the sites you posted, along with others - and you can't see the pedigree background. That's a bit worrisome for me, but if they can provide it elsewhere - then I'm okay with that. I'd also look up the health testing yourself on the OFA website.
The pedigrees will be one of the first things I ask for when I contact the breeders :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
blue, brindle, harlequin, black, mantle and fawn are the acceptable colors.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
yeah if you look at the past litters pics there is a merlequin bitch with cropped ears sahown a few times with different litters. One litter looked like all merles...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
alright so at a glance at some websites these are some in ontario that you may want to look at

http://www.ckharlequins.com/index.html - the only thing i noticed offhand was that they had 2 litters planned for 2012.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/majsticdanes/dane.html - these guys dont have a ton of info on their site. says they have been involved with showing since 92, but it looks to me like the breeding may be newer to them, though they have thanked a mentor on their site.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hey chipinmom, I sent you a PM. Please check it out.
Good luck on your search! :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright so at a glance at some websites these are some in ontario that you may want to look at

http://www.ckharlequins.com/index.html - the only thing i noticed offhand was that they had 2 litters planned for 2012.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/majsticdanes/dane.html - these guys dont have a ton of info on their site. says they have been involved with showing since 92, but it looks to me like the breeding may be newer to them, though they have thanked a mentor on their site.
I checked out those two a bit as well. The reason I skipped over ckharlequins is because of them using the same stud for both of their litters this year. I figured that wasn't a good sign.

And as for majsticdanes, it doesn't look like they have updated the site in years. The last planned litter they mentioned was in 2007.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
like I said just glancing at the sites. I sdidnt look at the year on majestic danes lol. In already going to de beau danes so I don't spend too much time looking at other breeders... plus I don't have an enhanced license to go to canada! Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Chipinmom, I know this is an old thread, I'm just wondering what breeder you went with? PM me if you don't want to post it. I ask because I am also looking into getting a Dane in the distant future, and am looking at one of those breeders mentioned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts