Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted an adult dog from a local shelter. The shelter estimated him to be 2 years old, and the vet estimated 10 months old. They both based their conclusions on the fact that he had his full set of adult teeth but there was very little tartar and his teeth seemed "young". Is there a more precise way to estimate age?

He's a black dog but he has a few gray hairs on his muzzle and near the base of his tail. Is this any indication of age?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The teeth are a pretty good indication, but are by no means scientific or reliable. A better way to determine age is an eye exam. Apparently dog corneas age in a very specific way.

A few gray or white hairs on the muszzle and base of tail are probably not the best indicators. A gray muzzle or mask, perhaps, but not one or two stray hairs. Even that would be hard to decipher...could just be the dog's coloring or an early sign of aging.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My pug started getting some gray hairs on her chin when she was 1. My vet said it's just genetics; but the weird thing is her mom isn't gray at all and her dad has a few gray chin hairs but not as much as Chloe (they are now 5 years old). Just like why some men bald at 20, and some women gray at 25 is what he told me.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Penny has a some gray hairs on her chin, and always has, even when she was a puppy. It's just coloring. Yeah, the condition of the teeth can be a good indicator of age, but, as FilleBelle said, the only way to be SURE is with a corneal exam.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts