Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a rented home and want to keep the grass nice not only for ourselves, but for the owner. Not only that, but as we all know, dogs puke it up. She used to not, but has in the last couple of months. We've already replanted some grass from a mixture of snowstorm damage and a couple of holes made by Maddie. We have to do that again, now.

She used to dig holes, but we got her to stop that. We then didnt let her outside unsupervised. We got her a new toy a couple of weeks ago that she LOVES and started spending 20-30 minutes chewing on it, doing nothing else. We decided to start giving her a few minutes alone because we trusted her.
We check up on her every 5 minutes or so and she'll be playing-but she's been getting bored, and we've gone out or looked out the window to her eating grass. We say "no grass, come," and she gets put inside. Sometimes we redirected her to her toys again, but that lasts a short time.

We want her to be able to be outside with her toys without eating grass-so besides "watch her at all times, dont let her out alone" or something that would require building something (moving in two months) any other suggestions?

Edit: I actually videotaped her behavior for 15 minutes yesterday to see if there was a warning sign to look for-like maybe she'd be bored and look around or wander around, but nope. She'll be laying on the ground, chewing her toy, turn her head and start eating grass.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Is she hungry or eating for another reason? I've come to view having beautiful grass and having dogs as mutually incompatible but others with more experience may have better ideas. My dogs occasionally eat the grass but more often, they simply run all over the place, which tears up the lawn. I own my home and don't care that much, though.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
I see two kinds of grass-eating. The first is a casual grazing and I expect they do that because they like it. Normally, there's no harm in this unless the grass has been treated with chemicals. I use no chemicals on my lawn and it looks like it.

The second kind of grass-eating I call John Deere Mode. It seems to happen in the middle of the night and is a frantic chow-down that makes you afraid to let your dog back in the house. Nearly always, this will make the dog barf and that may, in fact, have been the reason for the dog eating the grass in the first place. The dog's stomach is upset and he's trying to get some relief without sticking his finger down his throat.

I don't try to discourage the first kind because it doesn't seem to do any harm or the second kind because it's the dogs way of trying to help himself.

My lawn, BTW, looks like a poorly maintained NFL practice field.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She tends to sit there and casually graze at the grass like she's a cow. Occasionally she'll rip out so much it creates a hole.

But she' not hungry. She gets her two bowls a day and lots of treats-especially when we're training her on something.
We came out and my boyfriend just has a naturally more booming voice, since he's male, and Maddie ran off a bit, tail tucked in. I said to get in the house and she scampered off to her crate, which is her own doing. She gets a bit more scared when my boyfriend comes out-more likely to tuck her tail in and run to her crate. Then again, he loses his temper much more, especially when the hole she creates is huge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts