Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my three year old, 12 lbs, male shih tzu exclusively on grain free canned food for about six months now and he seems to be doing very well. He usually eats about 6-8 ounces per day. I currently feed Innova EVO, Wellness CORE & Blue Wilderness. I have looked at adding a couple others to the line up from Evanger's and Merrick. Is there anything that I should be concerned about feeding this type of diet? I am not ready to jump into a raw diet yet and I have a really hard time believing that dry kibble can be good for a dog in the long run. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No, not at all...as long as the can food is a complete and balance diet, not just for supplemental feeding, you should be okay. The only thing is the state of your dog's teeth. I know that dry food doesn't really keep a dog's teeth clean either, but you may have to add bones, or chews, etc. to his diet. That is, if you're not already. You may also have to brush the dog's teeth, if you aren't already. In fact, I actually like can food better than dry for dogs. Especially the grain-free ones. Have you tried Dogswell. They have grain-free "stewey" varieties that my dogs love. We use the Merrick grain-free (especially Grammy's Pot Pie) all the time. Even Wellness Core has come out with a can food, but I can't get it where I live yet. There are alot of good brands of grain-free can food out there now. Your dog can have alot of variety in his diet! Good Luck!

BTW, the reason I don't feed total can food is the expense. I have 3 (allbeit small) dogs, so I use kibble w/ can topper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been brushing his teeth every day since he was about 6 months old. I will look into the food you suggested. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Merrick Before Grain is not "Complete and Balanced," fwiw. Not a problem if it's not fed exclusively but Evo, for examples, is c&b. My pets have never liked Evanger's canned much but I think it's good food for the money. Lately I've been feeding the cats By Nature 95% canned because Petfooddirect.com is selling it for around a dollar a can which is very well priced compared to EVO. They make a similar dog food which is also a good buy.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sorry philovance, but what is 'fwiw' mean? I'm not up on the lingo apparently! And why would you say it's not complete?

StellaLuciDesi, is Merrick's Granny's Pot Pie really grain free?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have been feeding my three year old, 12 lbs, male shih tzu exclusively on grain free canned food for about six months now and he seems to be doing very well. He usually eats about 6-8 ounces per day. I currently feed Innova EVO, Wellness CORE & Blue Wilderness. I have looked at adding a couple others to the line up from Evanger's and Merrick. Is there anything that I should be concerned about feeding this type of diet? I am not ready to jump into a raw diet yet and I have a really hard time believing that dry kibble can be good for a dog in the long run. Thanks in advance.
No. Next to raw and homecooked, feeding grain free canned is probably the next best thing. Not only are you feeding great ingredients, you aren't dehydrating your dog by feeding a processed dry product. Wellness makes an awesome grain free canned called 95% Meat - in different protein sources.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Sorry philovance, but what is 'fwiw' mean? I'm not up on the lingo apparently! And why would you say it's not complete?

StellaLuciDesi, is Merrick's Granny's Pot Pie really grain free?
I'm not sure what fwiw mean but Before Grain isn't complete because they say it isn't. I feed Merrick & Before Grain. I don't know if it is really "incomplete" but it is just what they say and it is only meat, nothing else added. When you feed a raw diet you get more complete because you also feed bone.

Merrick says about Before Grain
"This product is for supplemental feeding only and is not intended to be a complete and balanced diet."

I don't usually feed the Pot Pie but I'm pretty sure it is grain free. Some of mine had Mediterranean Banquet the yesterday, it has rice.

Evo (I also use) is considered C&B because of the other ingredients. The Evo 95% meat cans don't have everything regular Evo can does but it has some added vitamins, minerals and herring oil.

I also like Wellness (use that too). The Wellness Core has other stuff added and is considered C&B. The 95% "Wellness 95% Canned Recipes are intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only."

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Flipgirl! Yes, Merrick's Grammy's Pot Pie can food is really grain-free. There are some others that are, too, but I can't recall them off-hand. In fact, I only use the grain-free from Merrick, and have used some others besides Grammy's. But, Grammy's is my (and my dogs') favorite! As I may have mentioned before, a new one I like that is a "stewey" grain-free is Dogswell.

HI Flipgirl! I looked it up, and here are their grain-free can foods:

Grammy's Pot Pie
Cowboy Cookout
Thanksgiving Day Dinner
Brauts-N-Tauts
Venison Holiday Stew

The do use Flaxseed Oil, but nothing other than that is connected to anything "grain". They do have potato in them. Hope that helps! These are the only ones I use. However, I like some of the other ones, too.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I feed mainly Kibble but do sometimes feed a Canned food made in B.C. called Lean Cuts. It's ingredients are: Fresh ground lean red beef roast and steak meat, fresh beef liver and kidney, carrots, vegetable gums, onion powder, Calcium, vitamin and mineral supplements, sodium nitrite and water sufficient for processing. NO CEREALS, GRAINS, ARTIFICIAL COLOR OR SALT ADDED. It is 85% moisture, Protein 10.4% Fiber .2% Ash .9% Fat 6.3% I realize it is low in Protein and Fat so don't feed it exclusively but it sure puts the weight on a dog that needs it. Would you consider this a good canned food?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I feed mainly Kibble but do sometimes feed a Canned food made in B.C. called Lean Cuts. It's ingredients are: Fresh ground lean red beef roast and steak meat, fresh beef liver and kidney, carrots, vegetable gums, onion powder, Calcium, vitamin and mineral supplements, sodium nitrite and water sufficient for processing. NO CEREALS, GRAINS, ARTIFICIAL COLOR OR SALT ADDED. It is 85% moisture, Protein 10.4% Fiber .2% Ash .9% Fat 6.3% I realize it is low in Protein and Fat so don't feed it exclusively but it sure puts the weight on a dog that needs it. Would you consider this a good canned food?
Looks pretty good. But you are reading the labels wrong. ;) On the can it has not less than 10.4 protein, Fat not less than 6.3, Fiber not more than .2 and moisture not more than 85%...So when you take the water out of the equation you are going to end up with protein more along the lines of 30-35% protein, 20-25% fat, Fiber about 3%...
I did a rough calculation above, but if you really want to get into it...here's how.
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Looks pretty good. But you are reading the labels wrong. ;) On the can it has not less than 10.4 protein, Fat not less than 6.3, Fiber not more than .2 and moisture not more than 85%...So when you take the water out of the equation you are going to end up with protein more along the lines of 30-35% protein, 20-25% fat, Fiber about 3%...
I did a rough calculation above, but if you really want to get into it...here's how.
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/petlabel.htm
Thanks, that makes more sense, no wonder they put on weight when I feed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blue Buffalo Wilderness formula has grain free canned food.
I use that for both my dogs and my cat and they love it!
I feed their Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry kibble too!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks Spicy, StellaLucyDesi and Poodleholic for your replies! fwiw :) I was at a store today and saw cans of Wellness but it was 95% meat. The label was a beige colour and the food came in different kinds of meat but the thing was that it was 95% meat. I suppose this would have to be fed as part of a meal like the Before Grain. Wow I didn't know that about the BG; I used to feed my cat BG so Iwonder if it is 'incomplete' like the dog food. I usually read the bag from top to bottom so it's weird I didn't catch that. So then what would you feed with the BG?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Flipgirl! The Before Grain dry is a complete & balanced grain-free food (cats & dogs). I believe the can food is not...

Most of the time, if you read the label on can foods they will say whether they are for supplemental feeding or c&b. If they don't say...well, that would be a red flag! But, you can read the ingredients as well.

Like I said before, if you want to feed solely a can diet, that should not be a problem, as long as the cans are complete & balanced. Good Luck! Sounds like you are a good "mommy". :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts