Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a Border Collie/Shepherd mix and a fat terrier. I’ve always fed them grain based dog food and never been told it’s a bad idea. Now ever since I been researching the Cavalier King Charles and their health issues it seems that same dog food would be bad for them?? That they need a healthy diet. Does that mean feeding them the grain based can shorten their lives? Does anyone know any dog food that would be good for them that is reasonably priced? I see many for like 40 dollars for like 10 pounds. Although I’ve read the dogs will eat less if it’s not fully grain based

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are dog foods that are “good” and contain grains. As long as it more meat based vs grain based. With the new research that has come out with grain free dog foods and the link to DCM, I would find a good, high quality with-grain dog food for a CKCS, considering that the breed is already prone to MVD.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nothing wrong with food that uses grains, I just like to see some meat first. I pretty much exclusively feed grain inclusive food. Some grain inclusive kibbles I really like and my dogs have done well on are Farmina, Annamaet, Purina Beyond. Have not tried it personally but know quite a few people who feed Victor Select and swear by it, looks like good food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts