Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walk my dog about 5 miles a day through the woods. She likes to take off into the woods to explore. There is nothing out there that can hurt her and I know she will come back in a while. so I am fine with that, but it would really be nice to be able to find her if it ever came to that.
I bought a Tractive GPS collar. It more or less works out in the open, but in the woods it is useless. Either the GPS doesn't connect or the telephone doesn't connect, even though my phone shows good signals for both.

Is there a GPS unit out there that actually works? (it would be great if it wasn't $1,000...)

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are some, I looked into it but I decided to go a complete different direction . The ones that don't use a phone seem decent.

I was looking at garmin alpha. I also looked into dogtra pathfinder

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Garmin. My friends who use them say they are worth the cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have an iPhone, get an apple air tag. I have one for my dog. They are only $30, with no monthly rate and maybe $10 for the holder that will fit on their collar or harness. You can track them from the "Find my iPhone" app on your phone.

·
Super Moderator
2,909 Posts
Yeah, I've had luck with Tractive, but it only works if you have decent cell reception due to its reliance on the cellular satellites, as is the case with any tracker that uses a cell phone. If you have hunters who use dogs in the area, or dog clubs that work with hunting dogs, absolutely talk to them, that community is always really on top of what the best options are for GPS devices and they'll know more specifics about what gets good coverage in your area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts