Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So winters been over for awhile, still have had some cold days and a ton of rain, but it is really time to get this dog back into shape. She's dropped a little winter weight, but she's still a bit of a tub. She also doesn't like doing the same things repetitively, so that's a bit of a challenge. Hopefully it will get hot soon and she can start swimming. Not sure what else I will be doing. Something I can get her interested in.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about a flirt pole? My dog loves that.
She's not too into it sadly. She's got a lot of prey drive, but something like that nah she's lost interest. She only walks the mill now. Won't use springpole. She likes fetch because she can get that even if she has to bring it back guess it's more rewarding than flirt.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Does she not like spring pole or tug of war?? That would be odd for a pittie!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
what about weight pulling. It's not a long activity short session 3 times a week, it's more of a consistent activity. paired with your swimming, or steady paced walk for 30 minutes on other days of the week.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does she not like spring pole or tug of war?? That would be odd for a pittie!
Haha no she doesn't like springpole. My 14 year old doesn't either no springpole or flirtpole, fetch they both love. Regular tug some what but that's my shoulder socket. I can start them with flirt then realize it on pole and they can't really get it lol. I'm thinking about getting a lure course machine though. She does like to chase so maybe that will be a bit different at least for awhile.

what about weight pulling. It's not a long activity short session 3 times a week, it's more of a consistent activity. paired with your swimming, or steady paced walk for 30 minutes on other days of the week.
I will probably start drag weight with her again too, as well as running. Guess I will get into to shape with her as last year I did a lot of running.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Not sure if I'm correct, but I think what Spicy means is building muscle, not necessarily losing fat or overall weight.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if I'm correct, but I think what Spicy means is building muscle, not necessarily losing fat or overall weight.
Yes that's correct. I have reduced from winter feed already on my dogs, but still have a few to lean and build up muscle tone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts