Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old aussie Luna got spayed today. We picked her up at 3:00, we were so worried. She has drank plenty of water, not much food, except her treats. She has peed normally, pooped normally. She hates the cone, but has so far dealt with it okay. Feel so bad for her, but we are sure she will through this okay.

Any good tips would be appreciated, she has exposed stitches so the cone has to stay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My tip is take the cone off. I've had several bitches spayed, and even more queens, and none of them ever wore a cone. And unless they are trained to wear it, it can be more distressing than helpful.

Not wanting to eat after anesthesia is normal, but if she hasn't perked up in a day or two, consult your vet.

Reactions: EmmaWilliam

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has perked up today. Ate more this morning. Taking her out to pee she wants to play, but being on a leash keeps her in check. You can see it in her face she is back to herself.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes, they usually feel themselves once the anesthetic wears off. Glad that's the way it's going with your girl. The problem with mine has been keeping them quiet enough the first days. I once had a vet bring me one of mine that was already up and hopping around say very unhappily, "My God, she's just had major surgery, and look at her. She needs to be quiet." She did calm down and take a long nap once I got her home.

However, as to cones, I believe they need to be used faithfully. I've had hysterical calls from foster homes who took cones off and seen stitches out and the incision opened because of dogs licking, even infection. Leave the cone on unless you can sit right there and pay attention to the dog. I take a cone off to walk the dog and that's it. I never had one that didn't learn to handle it pretty quickly (my own and rescues), and it's not a bad thing for a dog to know because there may be other times it's needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My tip is take the cone off. I've had several bitches spayed, and even more queens, and none of them ever wore a cone. And unless they are trained to wear it, it can be more distressing than helpful.

Not wanting to eat after anesthesia is normal, but if she hasn't perked up in a day or two, consult your vet.
+1 to this

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well she worn the cone all week since being spayed. No issues at all. Get the stitches out tomorrow afternoon, we will see if the cone stays for a few more days or not.

Site is healing really good. Pooped and peed on a leash all week. Wants to play really bad, but we’ve kept her pretty calm. She’s been very cuddly all week.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I never put a cone on any of my digs after any surgery. All were fine. Included spaying. All was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well she wore the cone for 8 days, completely ok with the cone. She is now 15 days out from getting spayed and she is doing great. Gonna wait one more week then take her out to get some real exercise. She still has free range in the backyard, but wanna take her to an open field and let her really run.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I would still introduce heavy exercise like running gradually.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
I'm glad she wore the cone for a good while. I don't like messing around with abdominal surgeries - when I was growing up, we never had a female cat that bothered their spay site or needed a cone... until one did, and nearly opened her guts. Probably why I'm a little too anal about using cones for major surgery as an adult with my own pets, but it sticks with you that one time something bad happens that could've been easily prevented.

I agree to ease her into exercise. If you have one - and a harness that won't put pressure on her spay site - a long line could be a great way to let her have some more freedom in a field, but keep control over her so she doesn't totally risk overdoing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts