Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Noel spayed last Friday, and she bounced right back to normal (energy wise) the very next day. She has all the energy she ever did before. BUT, my wife and I have noticed that the floor is damp all over the place whenever she gets up ever since... That and her tail is always really wet, almost like its been dipped in her water bowl... It's been a week since her surgery... We didn't know what it was, maybe just excessive licking and chewing? But I also noticed that some spots were more than damp, even little puddles... Well, just now I've been watching her closely, and I noticed that while she was lying down, she was licking herself 'down there' an awful lot... I got down on the floor and felt the floor, and it was soaked (dark carpet, couldn't see it)... Then I noticed little driplets of urine that she was actually licking up as they were coming out...

So basically, it seems that Noel is constantly leaking pee, non-stop... Everywhere she goes, she leaves little drops of pee... This CANT be normal after getting spayed, but I just wanted to check, cause I've been wrong before when it comes to Noel...

She's got a slow but constant leak!!!! What to do?

·
Registered
673 Posts
wish I had more info for but I have heard of this before. I hope they didn't accidently nick(sp?) the bladder during the operation. Hope she will be okay

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that I've actually figured out she's leaking pee, I'm walking around the house and smelling things, and I'm noticing that pretty much everywhere she lays or has laid smells like urine... The couch, her bed, on the floor next to my bed, the entryway of our house... EVERYWHERE... I don't know how we didnt actually figure out it's pee earlier, but I guess it took seeing her licking it up while it was coming out to make me believe thats what it is...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Honestly I'd either call or visit your vet.

Dogs can have incontinence problems after a spay, but this doesn't sound like that at all.

It's possible her bladder was nicked or that it's nothing to do with the spay and is a urinary tract infection or something similar.

Yeah I'd at least call the vet and let them know to be sure.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It could be pee.

My dog was swollen and had a thin whitesh fluid leaking out of her insition site.

I agree, take her to the vet....that isn't normal with a spay.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Spaying of a dog can cause estrogen deficiency, which causes incontinence.

Testosterone and oestrogen deficiencies can induce urinary incontinence. It occurs in 20% of spayed dogs. This effect is not well understood but sexual hormones probably have effects on the urethral sphincter. And this problem is more frequent on females than males. [...] 65% of Boxers are affected, and Dobermans and Giant Schnauzers have a more then average disposition to this condition.

A study showed that spayed bitches have a higher risk of developing urinary tract infections, the sexual hormone deprivation having an effect on the bladder defense system.
One of my females (Mia) takes hormones twice a week to keep her from leaking all over as you describe. Talk to your vet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so then we get her spayed to prevent one problem, and in doing so create another? poor girl... she's sitting out back staring in not knowing why she cant come in... its killing me, but i have to leave her out... whatever little bit of leaking there was before has gotten much worse, and its a puddle anytime she lays down anywhere...

going to the vet tomorrow...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
so then we get her spayed to prevent one problem, and in doing so create another? poor girl... she's sitting out back staring in not knowing why she cant come in... its killing me, but i have to leave her out... whatever little bit of leaking there was before has gotten much worse, and its a puddle anytime she lays down anywhere...

going to the vet tomorrow...
I am glad you are going to the vet. This could be as simple as a bladder infection. Her system was all upset with the spay and she might just need some antibiotics to get back to normal. I hope so. I had a dog with an ectopic ureter so I know what you are going through. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. Let us all know how it goes.
Can you just bring her into the kitchen or hard surface and toss a towel down for her to lay on? I am sure she is miserable with that issue too. The fact that she is licking her bottom might also just be an infection. Let's hope so, that would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Or make her a diaper out of an old t-shirt? Poor sweetie. The good news is that IF it's the hormone imbalance, it's only 2 pills a week in our case. And if she starts them tomorrow, the problem clears up within a day.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Glad you're going to the vet! Get some PullUps and just cut an opening for the tail. Hopefully, this is temporary.

=FourIsCompany;542876]Spaying of a dog can cause estrogen deficiency, which causes incontinence.
It's only been a week since her spay, so not enough time has gone by for estrogen deficiency.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's only been a week since her spay, so not enough time has gone by for estrogen deficiency.
Well that's a relief to know... Hopefully entirely accurate... Headed to the vet in a few minutes...

Go figure she's not leaking right now though, all dry (must have leaked every last bit of urine out through the night)... Like taking the car to the shop, and suddenly the engines running fine...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, I'm not buying the bull that the vet is feeding me...

According to the vet, Noel has 'Post Spay Incontinence', a permanent dysfunction... He said he's never seen it at his hospital, but that he'd heard of it... So they gave us some medication called Proin 50 that is supposed to help after a couple of weeks, when it tightens the bladder or something like that... I'm not buying it... How do we wind up with the one in a million case, the ONLY one he's ever seen at this vet clinic... Give me a break... I think they did something to her and they're not fessing up to it... Noel is freakin 6 months old, she's a stinking puppy! Now she's permanently incontinent for the rest of her life unless she's on meds, which by the way have a warning label that says it can cause "Hyperactivity and Restlessness"... And she still has to wear a freakin diaper for a few weeks until the meds have time to kick in... This doesnt sound right to me... None of this sounds right... Millions of dogs get spayed... Ton's of them get spayed at THIS CLINIC (it's a very popular and crowded clinic) and they've NEVER had this happen?! Give me a break... Poor Noel seems depressed too... She is not acting like herself... She's being kind of disobedient, she literally looks like she's frowning most of the day, and today at the vet she was barking at all the other dogs... She's NEVER done that before, and she's been to the vet plenty of times... Something isnt right...

My wife's mom lives down the street from a vet surgeon, and she talked to him about it... His words? "There's no way, that just doesn't happen"... And let me ask ya'lls opinion on this... My wife was the one that took her last week for the operation... She didnt meet the surgeon, was never introduced, wasnt explained what any of the complications or side effects can be, or anything... Regardless of how slim chance something may be, shouldnt the possibility be explained? My wife has been crying most of the day now because she feels like a "bad mom" because we got her spayed and now this has happened to her... Truth be told, neither one of us wanted to spay her in the first place... We only did it at everyones freakin insistence that we do it... So we did it, and now, for lack of a better way of explaining it, she's broken! I'm just not buying it... I think they did something to cause this and they just dont want to fess up to it... When my wife picked her up after the surgery, she was soaked... She asked why and they told her she peed herself in the crate so they hosed her down... We figured 'okay, normal, she was under anesthesia' but now I'm not so sure... Humans dont piss themselves when they're under anesthesia... Noel is completely housebroken... Hasnt had a single accident in about 3 months... She can be inside for 8+ hours easy, and now she walks around leaking all day?

I'm freakin upset... I dont know what to do with this information or how to process it... I feel so bad for Noel...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Oh Mathew and Noel, I am so sorry to hear this. I spoke to a friend of mine last night about your dog. She works at a vet clinic and I was explaining the symptoms. She too said, it sounds odd. She thought it sounded more like a bladder infection as well and that it does happen somewhat regularly. Puppy gets spayed and then gets blood in urine and some leaking afterward. Usually that can be cleared up without issue. I really hoped that was what was happening in Noel's case.
I too wonder about a second opinion. Maybe take he to your mom's neighbor? At his office of course.
I am just curious as to why you didn't know the surgeon? Did your normal vet NOT want to do the surgery? I mean, spay/neuters are usually done by general vet. I have a hard time imagining that nothing can be done. In humans after a hysterectomy the womans bladder can begin to sag causing incontinence. Usually they can do a bladder lift and solve this problem. I wonder if that is a possibility for your dog?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you both for your concern about Noel... Yeah my mom thinks we should get a second opinion as well...
Inga said:
She thought it sounded more like a bladder infection as well and that it does happen somewhat regularly. Puppy gets spayed and then gets blood in urine and some leaking afterward. Usually that can be cleared up without issue. I really hoped that was what was happening in Noel's case.
I was hoping it would be something like this as well... The thing is, once we finally got called into the back at the vet, we basically explained what was happening, and he gave us his diagnosis right off the bat... He didn't rummage through options or ask many questions, he just told us what it was as if he was sure... I thought it seemed too quick, rather than having any other options... He said it was too early to culture her urine since she's still on antibiotics from the surgery...
Inga said:
I am just curious as to why you didn't know the surgeon? Did your normal vet NOT want to do the surgery? I mean, spay/neuters are usually done by general vet.
I completely agree... The thing is, she doesn't have a vet, and by that I mean there isn't one person that see's her... The vet we go to has like 6 actual veterinarians, and whichever one happens to be available or gets to you first is who you get... So we've never had one that we actually called hers, the way you or I have a family doctor... And as far as who performed the surgery, I have no idea? I didnt know the actual vet could, I thought they had surgeons that did that... So the veterinarian is able to do this procedure then? If so, I dont know who performed hers... But no, we never met the person, never got a chance to talk to them or ask questions, nothing like that...
Inga said:
I have a hard time imagining that nothing can be done. In humans after a hysterectomy the womans bladder can begin to sag causing incontinence. Usually they can do a bladder lift and solve this problem. I wonder if that is a possibility for your dog?
My sentiments exactly... It seems like there has to be something that can be done other than being on medication for the rest of her life... I could see it if she were a senior dog or something, but she's freakin 6 months old! She's so young... She was perfectly healthy... The PICTURE of health... And now this....

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Spay incontinence happens...that's what I first thought it was.

There are all sorts of risks that are associated with altering young pets, but the vets only mention the benefits, as do those who are pro pediatric spay/neuter.

Google Spay Incontinence...things will come up.

Sorry you're going through this with your girl.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My aunt and uncles chocolate lab had the same thing happen to her here in MN.. she is also taking the pills for the rest of her life :(

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I find it extremely hard to believe you would see spay incontinence so soon after a spay. Have had dogs with it. I just dont' see it happening that fast...it takes time for the hormones to leave their system and it takes time for their "pee sphincter" to weaken. Our dogs with spay incontinence have not needed meds their entire lives. They take them for a few months if they start leaking and then we wean them off. Haley hasn't needed meds in a couple years!

Get a second opinion from a completely different practice.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts