Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
First of all, Bella is absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on getting the results!

I'm a curious type as well. I've been thinking about having this done with Echo. I adopted her from a couple through the humane society (they had her litter). They said that her dam is a malamute and the sire is a boxer. They SAID full blooded on each side, but I'm convinced she's got something else in her. Both boxer and malamute sides come out strong in her, but by the looks of her there's something else there- german shepherd maybe?

EDITED TO SAY-

Hmm... I just checked the BioPet website, and Alaskan Malamute is not even on their list of "Validated Breeds."

"BioPets believe that 92.5% of the mixed breed dog population in the USA is covered by our 62 validated breeds using Biopets DNA Dog Testing Kit:

* Afghan Hound
* AiredaleTerrier
* Akita
* American Eskimo Dog
* Australian Shepherd
* Basenji
* Basset Hound
* Beagle
* Belgian Tervuren
* Bernese Mountain Dog
* Bichon Frise
* Border Collie
* Borzoi
* Boston Terrier
* Boxer
* Brittany
* Bulldog
* Bull Terrier
* Chihuahua
* Chinese Shar-Pei
* Chow Chow
* Cocker Spaniel
* Collie

* Dachshund
* Dalmatian
* Doberman Pinscher
* English Setter
* English Springer Spaniel
* German Shepherd
* German Shorthaired Pointer
* Golden Retriever
* Great Dane
* Great Pyrenees
* Greyhound
* Irish Setter
* Italian Greyhound
* Keeshond
* Labrador Retriever
* Lhasa Apso
* Maltese
* Mastiff
* Miniature Pinscher
* Newfoundland

* Norwegian Elkhound
* Papillon
* Parson Russell Terrier
* Pekingese
* Pembroke Welsh Corgi
* Pomeranian
* Poodle
* Pug
* Rhodesian Ridgeback
* Rottweiler
* Saint Bernard
* Saluki
* Schnauzer
* Scottish Terrier
* Shetland Sheepdog
* ShihTzu
* Siberian Husky
* Weimaraner
* West Highland White Terrier
* Yorkshire Terrier"

Also: "What if there are breeds in my dog that are not in your database?
We believe that 92% of the mixed breed population is covered by our validated breeds. However, if there is DNA detected from a breed not in our database, it will be assigned to the most closely related breed, or to breeds further back in your dogs ancestry."

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
You receive a couple of swabs, take a sample from the cheeks (I did it first thing in the morning before she put anything in her mouth) and send it back.
Hehe, this made me laugh...wonder what would happen if I swabbed my dogs' cheeks first thing in the morning and the test came up 90% chicken? What dog breed covered by their test do you think would be the "the most closely related breed" to a chicken? :eek:

:D

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm honestly curious. Why do people get these tests done?
For me, just for the fun of it and curiosity. The tests are getting better and better all the time. ;)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Hehe, this made me laugh...wonder what would happen if I swabbed my dogs' cheeks first thing in the morning and the test came up 90% chicken? What dog breed covered by their test do you think would be the "the most closely related breed" to a chicken? :eek:

They tell you to not let the dog near food, shared water dishes, or shared toys for at least an hour. While Toby was waiting the prescribed hour before his swabbing, he was begging for my broccoli, and I told him I didn't want to get the results saying that he was part GSD and part broccoli :D . Silly.

Bella's cute! I definitely see the Weim part in her ears. I think DNA testing is fun. I wouldn't pay too much for it, but $40 isn't too bad for something fun, if you have the extra $$$.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Love the curly-Q tail! Where do you think that fits in her lineage?
I have no idea...that's why I was always thinking there was some Chow in there someplace (along with her stubborn streak). Must just be the way her tail is...?

Hehehe...I was wondering the same thing.

First of all, Bella is absolutely gorgeous! Congrats on getting the results!

I'm a curious type as well. I've been thinking about having this done with Echo. I adopted her from a couple through the humane society (they had her litter). They said that her dam is a malamute and the sire is a boxer. They SAID full blooded on each side, but I'm convinced she's got something else in her. Both boxer and malamute sides come out strong in her, but by the looks of her there's something else there- german shepherd maybe?

EDITED TO SAY-

Hmm... I just checked the BioPet website, and Alaskan Malamute is not even on their list of "Validated Breeds."
Maybe the Malamute is too closely related to the Huskey? I think Echo looks like some B. Mountain Dog too! Very very adorable what ever she is! :p

There is a new thread going that I think might be neat to follow! :D

21 - 26 of 26 Posts