Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just got a puppy who is a border collie/ Labrodor mix name is Reon. He is just 8 weeks old and I've had him for about five days now.
He only turned 8 weeks yesterday, an unfortunate instance of a friends sister not doing her homework and realizing six weeks is too early to get a puppy especially when you're not a trainer and it was either I take him or he gets dropped off at a shelter.
I grew up training dogs but only around 7-8 months or older since my mother was a dog trainer and never really experienced puppies. I don't mind house breaking or starting with a brand new puppy and I love my dog dearly and he's catching on very well for someone so young.
I was curious about exercise if anyone has had this mix before or a collie or lab, a lot of people recommend 5 minutes for every month of age up to twice a day but Reon has a lot of energy and I know Collies are very energetic dogs not to mention intelligent and easily bored.
How much exercise would you recommend to make sure he's getting enough and does anyone have any mental exercises/games they would recommend that a puppy can figure out? I don't want him to get frustrated if he can't get it and be more stubborn towards games in the future.
I work from home so having a puppy is no problem to keep an eye on and we are working on crate training so he's prepared for any circumstances.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi! Wow-what a great mix! You will have a lot of fun with him for sure. Considering the breed, after vaccination protocol is over you should be active and go with him for walks( at least two times a day) and adventures as much as possible. Fetch is a great way for dogs to vent. If you are a swimmer he might enjoy it too :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think swimming is a great way to wear him out :) it’s nice because you can just stop when he’s done rather than going on a long walk or something and having him have to continue walking home even if he’s tired.

plus there’s nothing better than beach days with your dog!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My mom had a BC/Lab. OMG, awesome dog. She got him as an adult, he was very mellow. Only lost his cool once, and the friggin kid that kept hitting him with a stick deserved it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My trainer has recommended some homemade games for my 12 week old Brittany pup. One was to put his kibble in an empty egg carton and let him figure out how to get the kibble out. It needs to be supervised because being a puppy, my little guy tends to chew up anything he can. She also suggested using empty cardboard tubes, putting the kibble in them and crimping the ends shut and then let them have at it. Again, needs to be supervised. I did invest in some puzzle toys form my pup to keep his brain active and so far he’s done really well with them. Kongs are also great mind toys for puppies but I have found that my puppy doesn’t seem to nderstand that he needs to chew at them yet, so I got him some WestPaw wobbles, freeze them like a Kong, and he works at them until they are empty.
I don’t know how much time to spend exercising or playing with him, I just know that he loves fetching and I keep going until he seems to give up which is about 15-20 minutes per play session.

Good luck with your little one! It sounds like he will be a big ball of energy like mine is. 🙂

·
Registered
104 Posts
My trainer has recommended some homemade games for my 12 week old Brittany pup. One was to put his kibble in an empty egg carton and let him figure out how to get the kibble out. It needs to be supervised because being a puppy, my little guy tends to chew up anything he can. She also suggested using empty cardboard tubes, putting the kibble in them and crimping the ends shut and then let them have at it. Again, needs to be supervised.
Is the egg carton cardboard or styrofoam? Also, what type of cardboard tube?
The paper towel tubes we end up with have some type of glue on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the egg carton cardboard or styrofoam? Also, what type of cardboard tube?
The paper towel tubes we end up with have some type of glue on them.
The egg cartons are cardboard. And the cardboard tube can be left over wrapping paper tubes or any clean tube. I think if it has glue on it, don’t use it. I have not tried them yet but I think the one I will try is the egg carton. It seems like the safest bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts