Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
He is adorable! I don't know. The colouring on the body and the tail reminds me of a beagle, but the face is very not beagle. How big is he?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The face looks alittle akita or other arctic breed. His body looks more shepherd but at 5 months the body is in that lanky stage so its hard to tell.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not very good at these games but just wanted to throw in a quick "awhhh" and I looovve those ears!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The face looks alittle akita or other arctic breed. His body looks more shepherd but at 5 months the body is in that lanky stage so its hard to tell.
wouldn't that mix result in a full double coat, or do puppies not have double coats?

i will say, those are some mighty big feet he has there. some dogs do have big feet, but my guess is that's going to a big dog someday.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You know, if it wasn't such a rare combination, I'd say Akita x Basenji. In lieu of that possibility, I'd say maybe Alaskan Husky X Akita.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Alaskan Husky isn't a breed :eek:

Akita X GSD mayhaps. Or Akita X Husky/Akita X Malamute

wouldn't that mix result in a full double coat, or do puppies not have double coats?
puppies have a very "flat" looking puppy coat until they blow their coat for the first time. If you look at pictures of my Siberian Bella and then look at older Siberian's she has a very "flat" coat (No blown coat this year).

·
Registered
252 Posts
I didn't say it was? I was under the impression that they were a mix of dogs like pointers and greyhounds and Siberian Huskies in an attempt to breed a faster sled dog. Was I wrong?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
At the point the dog would just be an Alaskan Husky. Which just might be what he is!

And to be honest, I didn't know if you knew what an Alaskan Husky is. And they don't necessarily have to be bred to a Siberian to be an "Alaskan Husky". As it can be bred to Inuits, Eskimos and Siberians.

Also, many people assume that the Alaskan Husky IS a breed. So sorry for correcting you.

I don't know why that silly face comes about from :eek: I want it to be just a :O face!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for all the feed back, after looking at photos my girlfriend and I are pretty sure that he is GSD / Husky X of some sort. Here are a few more pictures to take a look at.

DSC_0025.jpg DSC_0032.jpg DSC_0006.jpg

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I didn't say it was? I was under the impression that they were a mix of dogs like pointers and greyhounds and Siberian Huskies in an attempt to breed a faster sled dog. Was I wrong?
DNA has now shown that Alaskan Huskies stem from the village bred land race in Northern Canada and Alaska - one that proceeded the Siberian Husky infusion, and then since the infusion of hounds etc. They are now, essentially, a mix which usually includes some Siberian Husky blood, but their primary genetic influence is that of the North American Indigenous Dog.

I used to look for the Siberian Husky influence in my girl's temperament (she was not much like one at all but for that she showed some in appearance) until I found this out.

. . . "Coastal Eskimo Dogs, and the Alaskan Interior Village dogs, are the two largest groups of native dogs that make up the base of the Alaska Husky. Both are descended from pre-Columbian dogs which crossed the Bering Straits in wave after wave of migration with pre-columbian peoples starting as early as 14,000 years ago or before. Indeed, scientists have determined that the Bering Land Bridge was intact both 35,00 years ago and 20,000 years ago. These hardy animals were fully domesticated dogs according to recent DNA research and were primarily descended from central or east Asian wolves, although some genetic studies show that certain native dogs were isolated for extreme periods of time and may have evolved from or mixed with local wolf populations of which they shared a genetic heritage. . . ."
http://www.sleddogcentral.com/features/little_wolf/alaskans.htm

Some Alaskan Sled Dog types are shown here. Pointer Ancestry (B) and Traditional (C).

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2156/11/71

Your boy looks like quite the mix. I wouldn't want to hazard a guess. He's an absolutely gorgeous dog (LOVE the ears).

SOB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts