Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a GoPro? What do you use it for? Do you use it for training or any other dog activities?

My dad is really into photography and gadgets and wants to get me one for Christmas. My husband is excited to use it while water skiing, and I'm excited to use it for dog training! I will primarily use it on a tripod to record training sessions, because my current camera is really old. Boring, I know! I'm tempted to get the dog harness, but it's not cheap and I don't know if it's worth it to attach to the dogs for one hike and then never use it again.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
I'd like to get one and attach it to Esther while she chases tennis balls into Lake Michigan. That would be great fun for about ten minutes and then I'd start thinking, "Gee, I spent a LOT of money just to see what Esther sees."

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to get one and attach it to Esther while she chases tennis balls into Lake Michigan. That would be great fun for about ten minutes and then I'd start thinking, "Gee, I spent a LOT of money just to see what Esther sees."
Haha. Basically what I'm thinking! If I can get a harness for <$20 it would be fun to try, but I think I would get bored with it.

Honestly I wouldn't buy it for myself, but my dad really wants to get it for us and I could use a better video recorder for training and stuff (and it takes pictures)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your father is willing to buy you one, I would SO attach it to my dog whenever possible to see what he sees. I think it'd be fun!
I'm pretty excited for my husband to wear it while water skiing. Too bad water ski season will be long over by the time we get it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have one and haven't been able to attached it on my dog without the video being so bumpy as to give someone watching it
the queasys. My dogs are little so it might be easier with a bigger dog. I tried putting one on a small tripod for agility to catch her entering tunnels and going through weaves but she was really distracted. If I try that again, I will condition her to it first.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one and haven't been able to attached it on my dog without the video being so bumpy as to give someone watching it
the queasys. My dogs are little so it might be easier with a bigger dog. I tried putting one on a small tripod for agility to catch her entering tunnels and going through weaves but she was really distracted. If I try that again, I will condition her to it first.
That's an awesome idea! I thought about attaching it to the dog, but I didn't even think about attaching it to agility equipment.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I have one and I love it. I use it to record and take pictures of training sessions, I use it to shoot video while we're mushing, I'll use it to record agility or rally runs or mushing (leaving it trailside) when my husband isn't there to use the DSLR for that. Sometimes I just put it in the yard and get weird pictures of the dogs running around dogging. I love that it's so small and easy to take anywhere in my pocket.

One piece of advice, I originally got the middle model (silver I think?) and it was really glitchy. Would think it didn't have a memory card in it if it got too warm, stuff like that. I broke the USB port on it and replaced it with the higher end model which was definitely worth it, it's been problem free.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have one and I love it. I use it to record and take pictures of training sessions, I use it to shoot video while we're mushing, I'll use it to record agility or rally runs or mushing (leaving it trailside) when my husband isn't there to use the DSLR for that. Sometimes I just put it in the yard and get weird pictures of the dogs running around dogging. I love that it's so small and easy to take anywhere in my pocket.

One piece of advice, I originally got the middle model (silver I think?) and it was really glitchy. Would think it didn't have a memory card in it if it got too warm, stuff like that. I broke the USB port on it and replaced it with the higher end model which was definitely worth it, it's been problem free.
I've seen some of your mushing videos! I wish I did a cool sport that I could record (makes me wish I still rode horses).

Since it's a gift I don't have much say in which model, but knowing my dad he won't buy something that doesn't get good reviews. It will probably be the Hero+LCD, rather than the Hero4. I'll have to look at reviews though. Good to know that there might be problems with the cheaper model.

How do you typically take training videos? Do you have a small tripod? One of those bendy tripods? I'm trying to think of what will be the easiest to tote around, but still give enough height to film training sessions.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
At home I just use a chair, or traffic cones are a good height. Outside, honestly I don't usually bring anything with me. I just find a rock or branch or something to set it on. It's so tiny it will balance on pretty much anything and it is "wide angle" in the vertical as well as the horizontal so it doesn't need to be that high off the ground.

For example, this is the raw version of a picture taken with it just sitting on the road. If I were shooting video I would put it way closer to where we were going to pass by, but you can see how huge the visual field is:

And this is a quick edit, if I were really using it for something I would crop right up to under us and have plenty of room for sky overhead:

For my mushing videos, I use a helmet mount that you can purchase specifically for that reason, and sometimes in the yard I'll just put it in the helmet mount and put the helmet on the ground. You can kind of see it on the above picture although the camera isn't in it obviously.

When I do bring something, I usually use a GorillaPod (those bendy tripods). I used to hate them with my point and shoot, but because the GoPro is so small and light it works great.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At home I just use a chair, or traffic cones are a good height. Outside, honestly I don't usually bring anything with me. I just find a rock or branch or something to set it on. It's so tiny it will balance on pretty much anything and it is "wide angle" in the vertical as well as the horizontal so it doesn't need to be that high off the ground.

When I do bring something, I usually use a GorillaPod (those bendy tripods). I used to hate them with my point and shoot, but because the GoPro is so small and light it works great.
Thank you! Those are awesome tips!

My current old point and shoot is thick and flat enough that I can set it on a chair or something in the house, so I'll probably keep doing that with the GoPro. I'm impressed with how good that looks just sitting on the ground though. I could totally use that for most of the things I do. And sounds like the GorillaPod would work just fine for anything else.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sass, how did you get those pictures? Did you edit from video? Or set a timer?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Sass, how did you get those pictures? Did you edit from video? Or set a timer?
That particular picture was taken with an option where it will take a picture every X seconds. I think the options are like... 1/2 second, 1, 3, 5... I usually leave it on one picture ever 1/2 second. So I just leave it there, turn it on, and go by. Then stop, turn it off, and collect it. (I end up with a lot of pictures of me walking away from and towards the camera. :p )

I get a lot of my best pictures that way. The quality isn't the greatest if the camera is too far away or if it's too dark out, they're not high resolution. But for my purposes I like that feature very much.

ETA: It also has wireless and a little remote control, which I promptly lost. So I just set it up and turn it on and end up weeding out a lot of pictures.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That particular picture was taken with an option where it will take a picture every X seconds. I think the options are like... 1/2 second, 1, 3, 5... I usually leave it on one picture ever 1/2 second. So I just leave it there, turn it on, and go by. Then stop, turn it off, and collect it. (I end up with a lot of pictures of me walking away from and towards the camera. :p )

I get a lot of my best pictures that way. The quality isn't the greatest if the camera is too far away or if it's too dark out, they're not high resolution. But for my purposes I like that feature very much.

ETA: It also has wireless and a little remote control, which I promptly lost. So I just set it up and turn it on and end up weeding out a lot of pictures.
That's a great feature! I could see setting that up and having the dogs run past it over and over or something.

I'm getting more excited about this now. At first I was like "I don't do anything cool like rock climbing or hang gliding so why would I want this?" but now I think it will be really fun. And I do use my old camera for videos and pictures all the time so it's not like I have no use for a video camera.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts