Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Goomer has it?

3156 Views 26 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  GroovyGroomer777
when is the new season of "groomer has it" on in 2009 and does anyone watch it here?
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
I don't like their new guest "celebrity" judges this season...if they are going to bring on guest judges I think they should at least know something about grooming a dog...otherwise, it just doesn't make any sense why they are a judge :confused:
Amen. Why on earth would they bring on a playboy bunny or whatever she's called as a "guest" judge? Boy, doesn't that add alot of credibility to the show and to professional groomers in general? Just shows what a joke the show is really. Its too bad, cause alot could be done with a reality grooming show to teach pet owners things, to showcase good grooming and care of the pets, etc. Instead its just a circus.
Yeah, I think its a smart idea but I hate how they put nemo in these ridicuous outfits ! Although I agree with graco I also know that this is only the 2nd season,maybe it could get better!
Last year, before they had settled on which groomers were going to be on the show, Animal Planet called my shop twice. They said they were looking for groomers with "Big Personalities" and were going to be in my area...etc.

I had never seen the show, didn't have cable TV for-EVER...lol...but I had heard about the show. I politely declined and now that I have TV and have seen the show...I am SO glad I declined! As Graco said, "it is a Circus!" And like most reality TV shows they mostly show the sad, depressing or embarrassing clips of film. I'm sure there are hours and hours of laughter and kindness between the groomers that is left on the cutting room floor.

That, along with, who the heck was going to run my shop for 6 weeks?? was enough reason to never want to be in that fishbowl they call a grooming show!
Yeah, I think its a smart idea but I hate how they put nemo in these ridicuous outfits ! Although I agree with graco I also know that this is only the 2nd season,maybe it could get better!
Don't hold your breath. ;) I agree on Nemo - I was cheesed when all the groomers laughed at Nemo trying to get out of those stupid space boots. Putting boots on a dog for protection is one thing; putting them on for entertainment is sick. And so is laughing about it.

Its too bad, cause alot could be done with a reality grooming show to teach pet owners things, to showcase good grooming and care of the pets, etc. Instead its just a circus.
Circus - perfect description. I started watching the show because I wanted to learn about grooming. Ha!

I can't remember the exact quote to the guy in the bottom two who didn't get much done because he was trying to demat the dog and not hurt it with the vacuum razor. I believe the judge said "I mean, it's great you're wanting to be humane with the dogs.. but it's a competition." :eek:
Eek is right! To chastise a groomer for not rushing something like that is low. It's ridiculous to expect the groomers to deal with dogs in that condition under such time constraints. Why not put a realistic time frame on it and let the groomers work at a pace that's comfortable for them and the dog? It's TV for pete's sake, not real time! They can edit out the boring parts!
Eek is right! To chastise a groomer for not rushing something like that is low. It's ridiculous to expect the groomers to deal with dogs in that condition under such time constraints. Why not put a realistic time frame on it and let the groomers work at a pace that's comfortable for them and the dog? It's TV for pete's sake, not real time! They can edit out the boring parts!
No kidding! Competition + time constraints = rushing and short cuts. Add grooming into the mix and you're begging for someone to hurt a dog. That and it really isn't fair. Why does there have to be a two hour time limit? Yes, you want to be comfortable enough with your skills that it doesn't take you 8 hours, but grooming is doing the job right and not endangering your client.
I am not a groomer and I watch and enjoy the show, but you can add me to the list of people who do not like the time constraints they place on the groomers. Perhaps they do this to emphasize that you must be good at what you do AND fast enough at it, in order to succeed and be profitable?

To me a real pro knows when it is unreasonable to complete a difficult groom in too little time, and they should ALWAYS make the comfort of the animal the first priority. I would like to see a challenge be to groom a matted animal in a set time that is too little to do it. The winner would be the person who was gentle and took the necessary time, even though they knew that they could not fully complete the task. Anyone starting to be too rough would be stopped immediately and fail the challenge.

(PS> Maybe the reason for a vet being a judge was to help balance the vote between cosmetic priorities and animal care?)
(PS> Maybe the reason for a vet being a judge was to help balance the vote between cosmetic priorities and animal care?)

I think that was the original intention, but unfortunatly she doesn't deliver. She is the worst of them, imo.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.