Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddie may have had a seizure this evening.

I was outside, sitting in a lawn chair and he was outside with me. He munched on a little bit of grass and was sniffing around, acting normal. Suddenly, he started walking in a circle, he did that maybe 2 times...then staggered forward and collapsed on his side, paddling his front legs. He vomited as well while it was happening. The whole thing maybe lasted 20 seconds, if that. After it was over, he seemed a little disoriented, or rather "confused" is a better term, like, "What the heck happened?" He seemed to recover himself pretty quickly and a few minutes after was acting completely 100% normal.

I swear, I have never been so scared in my entire life...I want to start sobbing again just thinking about it. I just remember screaming his name over and over...it was such a blur.

When it happened it was around 6 p.m., so I called my vet at home (he's a neighbor of sorts) and he said to keep an eye on him tonight to see if it happens again...and he's going in to the vet tomorrow...(he already had a general checkup appointment tomorrow anyway...)

What I'm hoping happened was that it wasn't a seizure at all but rather he was choked on the little bit of grass he ate before it happened.

He hasn't been out of my sight since it happened...I've made him stay in the same room with me constantly and he's going to sleep with me tonight.

I've been trying to find everything I can online about canine seizures...but still just feel stupid and inadequate because I don't know what to ask about, what tests need to be run...I trust my vet...but I just want to know what is going on and what to expect...*sigh*

I'm just a little scared and nervous. I know everything will be alright though because we will do anything that needs to be done if it is something serious.

Just keep him in your thoughts please.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Fingers crossed that it's nothing serious :)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
How scary MD!

I'll be thinking of you and Eddie today and my fingers are crossed that it's nothing serious.

Please let us know after your appt.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I hope all is well with Eddie!
Seizures are so scary. I still remember Matrix's first one.

Hope you are okay too!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
When Max had his first seizure, the vet told me that they don't usually treat the first one. It might be a fluke. If they have multiple ones, then they will put him on meds.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good thoughts for Eddie!

How old is he? Age can play a big part in determining the cause of a seizure.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
How scary! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
When Max had his first seizure, the vet told me that they don't usually treat the first one. It might be a fluke. If they have multiple ones, then they will put him on meds.
Same with Butch. He has had 2 that I know of. He did not vomit and the whole thing was over in less than a minute (from start of it to him running around like normal). I am not with him all the time but I don't think he has had any others.

Like LeRoy said, they won't treat the first couple unless they are very close together. Butch's were like 8 mos apart (about 3 yrs ago). The first thing I did was go to the computer and write everything that happened, from start to finish. I did the same thing after the second one. I don't really think about them unless someone asks me because it has been so long since the last one. The vets ask every time he goes in for whatever, just to complete his file.

I think Eddie will be fine. Just keep an eye on him. It is the scariest thing to see the first time...but try not to dwell on it too much...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How old is he? Age can play a big part in determining the cause of a seizure.
He's 2 years old.

He's been fine since and acting completely normal. :)

His appointment is at 4:30 and I'll update everyone when we get back.

UPDATE:

Ok, we are back. :)

He basically said to watch and see if it happens again, make a note of the day and time...also noting how long the episode lasts. He said that there is no "good test for epilepsy"...just that it can be hereditary. He said that they don't even really give medication for it unless the seizures are really frequent and a few days apart.

He said that he's not too concerned at this point because Eddie seemed to recover himself quickly...and the 2 incidents (Eddie had another "choking" incident about a year ago.) are spaced really far apart. He said that he could have very well just choked and it wasn't a seizure at all.

But it is something that I'm going to be watchful of in the future, you can bet the bank on that. :)

Other than that, he's in great health, a little hefty...as I already knew at 123lbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts