Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys :wave:

So, I'm in the market for a new brand of dog treats to get to use during training. I'd prefer not to use real meat(the smell makes me feel really sick, I have food allergies and my stomach is super sensitive, even to smells), so I was hoping for a good, premade type of dog treat :p My two dogs are Shih Tzus(4 & 5 years old if that makes a difference) and I would love to use something healthy for them. I'm thinking of possibly using baby carrots cut up into pieces, but if there's a great dog treat out there that's small(or soft and you can easily break up into smaller treats), I'd love to be able to use that!

I currently use a mix of treats by Three Dog Bakery and Canine Carry Outs. The Three Dog Bakery ones look good, but all the treats are hard and tend to be kind of large, making them harder to break up to give as treats for my two. And the Canine Carry Outs...I didn't even know what some of the stuff was in the ingrediants list(same thing with a lot of human food though :wink:), plus there's a HUGE ingredient list, so XD

Thanks! Sorry about the overly long post :)

~IJMB

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I find that cat treats usually work well, for some reason most dogs seem to really like cat food and cat treats...

As for real meat, have you tried dehydrating the meat? Might reduce the smell. I recently bought a food dehydrator cheap off ebay, and I know a friend who dehydrates meat for her dogs too. Makes them less yucky to handle too :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, that's interesting. Yeah, I've had to help friends with dogs who ate their cats food XD

Never even thought of doing that! I'll take it into consideration :) Thank you!

~IJMB

·
Registered
222 Posts
My dogs love Zukes. They're the perfect size for us, but you could cut them up even smaller. And they come in peanut butter, so no meat smell!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll see if they're at any pet stores we go to, I'm headed to PetsMart tomorrow to get food for my guinea pigs, so I'll be sure to look for them. Thanks! :)

~IJMB

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Zukes are great, the "Mini Naturals." You can also use kibbles. Also the Charlee Bear training treats (might be a little big for your purposes). Or, my personal favorite...lowfat string cheese! You can cut it up into more than 100 pieces per stick and dogs generally LOVE cheese.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's awesome hamandeggs, I might have to try the string cheese! I'm allergic to it, but only if I eat it, so I'm good :p My mom will be confused when I write "String Cheese" on the grocery list :p

I'll try out both of those and see which I/my dogs like best. I really appreciate this, thank you guys! :)

~IJMB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts