Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going to all of the book stores and pet stores, trying to find a book on conformations showing, and I haven't found anything. I'm hoping to get into showing poodles, and want to do as much reading as possible. I watched the Westminster kennel club dog show, and have gone to some of our local shows to see it hands on, but I need info on how best to train, handle, care for, etc. a show dog.

I'd also love any links if you know of good online sources.

Thanks,

Draba

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Best bet is to contact your local kennel club and see if they offer handling classes.

The book "Show Me: A beginner's guide to dog shows" is pretty good, but as far as the actual handling end of things, it takes in person classes to really get much good advice.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You can learn to show yourself. Don't let anyone talk you down about that. "Show Me!" is an excellent book, and so is "The Winning Edge" by George Alston.

The local kennel club is good also, but sometimes classes might be to far away from you, (like they are for me)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Also, see if there are any poodle breeders or handlers (many are professionally handled) near you that would be willing to mentor you in exchange for kennel and show assistance from you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll check out the books, and look into classes, however, I am still trying to find a puppy. I'm going to see a puppy in an hour, so maybe he will be the right one, and I know the breeder is interested in showing him, so I could watch and learn. However, the soonest I will get a puppy is 2 weeks, so I thought reading while I wait would be a good idea :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts