Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my boyfriend and I adopted a lab/akita mix two weeks ago and she has been a perfect puppy... until this weekend. We are fairly sure its our fault and could use some advice on how to guide her back to her better ways.

For the first two weeks we had Sydney, our puppy-14 weeks old, she rarely had accidents in doors. Would play pretty hard when we wanted to and sleep when we put her in her crate or on the bed. She is taken outsideevery 2-3 hours to go to the bathroom and spends her day at work with my boyfriend playing outside and with two other dogs there. (no crate time during the day) This past weekend we went to a wedding away from home and took her along for the road trip. She seemed okay but did have accidents in her crate twice which she had never done before but other than that we had no problems. We got her home today and she seems insane. Running around the apartments as fast as she can, very aggresive (playing) and keeps peeing all over the place! I'm sure she will readjust and settle back in to being home but if we did something wrong, or someone has had a similar experience, we would love to know! We've been home 5 hours and shes pooping outside but then comes in and pees.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Gate her in a kitchen or such until she calms down. Be sure to take her out every 2 hours or so and keep her feeding / water schedule the same as before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We put her in her crate and she seems to be doing better. Thanks for the advice! I think it was just all too much for her too fast. As long as she stops peeing in her crate...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I also just adopted an Akita mix (Akita x GSD/Lab). As she is becoming more familiar/comfortable with her surroundings, she's becoming more rambunctious. She does the running/tearing around the house... I think sometimes she's having such a grand old time she forgets that she has to pee! It's such a bother, you know, having to pee and interrupt the fun!

I've learned that immediately after any rigorous playing, it's time to take her outside. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts