Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sterling's started to have somewhat liquid poops, and my BF thinks its because we aren't being consistent in feeding him the same flavour of raw foods even though we feed him the same brand of raw food.

I feed him Natures Variety Instincts Raw and I switch between Beef, Lamb, and Venison.

I think it's just the Lamb that doesn't agree with him, as he does fine on the Beef (hasn't pooped yet on the Venison so it's hard to tell.)

Any tips are appreciated!!

FYI: I feed him 3/4 cups of raw and 1/4 cup of kibble with freeze-dried raw chicken bits.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1) If you haven't done this previously, go back and feed one NV formula for, say, a week. If Sterling is doing well on that one forumula after a week, then add a new one. Rinse repeat. That should help you identify if any one formula in particular just doesn't agree with him.

Maybe even give his tummy a break with a bland diet first and then try reintroducing one NV formula at a time...clean slate, you know.

2)Maybe his particular belly would do better with a little less rotation...maybe rotate after finishing up a bag instead of, say, every other day.

3)Lamb is really rich and could definitely be the culprit.

4) Some dogs don't do well with kibble a raw mixed in the same meal, so just keep an eye on that as well.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!! He's been doing a lot better on the Venison which is weird, because it has a lot of lamb substitute, but we'll be switching him to Big Country Raw or home-cooked after this bag is done.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Also watch how much he gets. Most dogs do better with less than the label instructions tell you to feed. Try feeding less for a day or two to see if things improve. Sometimes dogs with loose stool are over fed, they don't always get fat.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't actually go by the label - I go by a chart I've managed to calculate depending on how much he weighs and an average of how much to give him according to the research I've done on puppy kCal intake.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That is probably more than he needs. I fed my dogs the baseline amount to keep them lean, the amount they were supposed to need was way too much food. Just try it for a day or two to see what happens. He won't starve in a day and if stool firms up you know it was too much food for him.

If he gets too skinny then increase a few kibbles per meal as his gut allows. Once a gut is out of whack it can be hard for it to get working efficiently so reducing food until gut is working properly then increasing the ration IF he really needs it might work out without wasting the food you have on hand and having to go through a fun transition to another food. I read that with pups one adjusts the feed constantly as pup goes through all sorts of growth spurts.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I finally found the culprit that was making him so sick: cat food. It had slipped my mind that he had gobbled down basically half a can of cat food around 24 hours beforehand. He did it again yesterday and had all the same problems. Cmon pup don't eat the cat food!! ><

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
So I finally found the culprit that was making him so sick: cat food. It had slipped my mind that he had gobbled down basically half a can of cat food around 24 hours beforehand. He did it again yesterday and had all the same problems. Cmon pup don't eat the cat food!! ><
Yep! That'll do it. It's probably less about the cat food itself than the fact that it was more calories and fat than he's used to.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep! That'll do it. It's probably less about the cat food itself than the fact that it was more calories and fat than he's used to.
Yup!! Glad it wasn't that he has a sensitive stomach!! I know Aussies are known for it but my breeder's line seems to have very good guts for an Aussie so I'm glad to see that he's doing okay

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I was following this thread because there seems to be no consensus on "A lot of variety will make your dog more tolerant of different foods later on" or "A lot of variety will mess up a dog/puppy's stomach."

But glad you figured it out! Silly Sterling :p

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've found it depends on the dog. Mine does fine on variety, so I keep it that way. But yeah I was curious as to whether or not there'd be more of a defined "good to swap / bad to swap"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts