Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last dog's illness really racked up my credit card bill.:( Sunny was uninsured.:eek:

I have a good vet, but an she's expensive vet and I'd like to be able to afford the good medical care she provides for the new pup should something unforeseen happen. When I asked about health insurrance the last time, the vet was sort of vague. So.........any good recommendations for insurance would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hit the search button , there is a ton of threads on Pet Insurance if you look here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that, but came up with a hodgepodge of miscellaneous threads. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or else the search engine is messed up.:confused:

·
Registered
179 Posts
You'll get varying opinions on pet health insurance for sure. Some think you should just stick away the money you would spend on premiums into a private account. If you can stash enough away more power to ya. But that stash can be wiped out in one single emergency visit and then you are left with nothing if something should happen again. I have pet insurance and researched many, reading reviews from users and decided on PetPlan USA http://www.gopetplan.com/Why-Pet-Plan.html.

I chose them because they seemed to have the most favorable review and I liked the way I could customize my coverage depending on how much I want to pay each month. Pet Insurance may not be for everyone. You may never need it, but if you really do, you'll be glad you did. Just read all the fine print when researching as there are differences between the providers. Things like "pre-existing conditions'', or "exclusions" should be checked thoroughly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I had firmly decided I wasn't going to buy Pet insurance . I was looking after my friends dog a couple weeks ago and her dog and my dog decided to stop and stand up while running up the back stairs. They got caught up on each other while they turned and my dog limped away , both fronts , it all happened quick but I think my friends dog landed on my dogs legs. He was fine and back to playing 5 minutes later but I thought what if he had broken a leg or maybe two? I bet that could you hit you really hard in the bank acct. So I decided after that to spend the 26 a month and just do it , see how it works out.

I went with these guys : www.petcare.ca

I also went years with a diabetic cat and one vet visit with her was like a years premiums for pet insurance. Seemed I could never walk out of there with less than a 250 dollar bill for her :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
I will say that pet health insurance is basically a pre-payment plan.If you look at them you have to pay the balence due first then submit to them for reimbursment.So you had better have the money to pay for the vet first.Around here there are no payment plans ect,you pay for the services or you don't get treated.So you have to have an account where you save money and possibly pet insurance.But always try to find out everything that they cover all are selective depending on your plan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts