Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have read from previous posts, Rosie was diagnosed with having allergies. She was itching and losing hair. The vet insisted it was seasonal and put her on pred. Well the pred helped her to stop itching but she is losing more and more hair. She also did TERRIBLY on pred. She was lethargic, and now that she is off, she is ravenously hungry and is acting very bizarre. And of course itching again. Her coat has also recently lost its shine which concerns me since she always had a full shiny coat. Now she has a dull balding coat.

Everything I have read points towards a food allergy and I am willing to switch her food rather than put her on more meds that will make her worse.
she is currently on california naturals lamb and rice. I have read that grains and lamb can contribute to food allergies. Can anyone recommend a good food for an allergic dog?

i'm taking her to a different vet this week to see if they can suggest anything, but until then i wanted to check to see if anyone had any opinions here.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You could try a novel protein like elk, bison, venison, fish (white fish or salmon) or duck. Natural Balance and Fromm are 2 that make formulas that work well for allergy dogs.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i have heard some pretty good things about duck as the main protein source in food. my mom is going to speak with a dog nutritionist today on my behalf since i have to work, so i will ask her to speak with them about that. i have never heard of Fromm, but I have used natural balance training treats and rosie did like them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Food allergies can come from many different ingredients. Beef, lamb, chicken, dairy products, certain grains etc... finding the culprit is not going to be a quick process though. You say you are sure it's food, how are you sure?

One sure way to see if it's food in general is to use one of the prescription diets that use hydrolyzed protein sources. These foods have the protein broken down to it's component amino acid. What that means is that there will be no allergic reaction to the protein source. A 10 week trial on this food with NOTHING else given (no treats.. nothing else) should reveal if food is the culprit. If the dog gets better you know it's food, if not, then it is something else, environmental most likely.

If you want to try some good non prescription diets first you might look into Natural Balance as someone else mentioned, they have several allergy formulas. http://www.naturalbalance.net/dogformulas/allergy.html

also look at Taste of the wild: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Food allergies can come from many different ingredients. Beef, lamb, chicken, dairy products, certain grains etc... finding the culprit is not going to be a quick process though. You say you are sure it's food, how are you sure?

One sure way to see if it's food in general is to use one of the prescription diets that use hydrolyzed protein sources. These foods have the protein broken down to it's component amino acid. What that means is that there will be no allergic reaction to the protein source. A 10 week trial on this food with NOTHING else given (no treats.. nothing else) should reveal if food is the culprit. If the dog gets better you know it's food, if not, then it is something else, environmental most likely.

If you want to try some good non prescription diets first you might look into Natural Balance as someone else mentioned, they have several allergy formulas. http://www.naturalbalance.net/dogformulas/allergy.html

also look at Taste of the wild: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/
i didn't say i was sure it was a food allergy. i want to try a change in diet to see if she improves with that. i prefer a change of food over putting her on more medication that seems to worsen her condition. this way i can also see if it is a food allergy.

thanks for the info. i will look into both of those. i know quite a few users on here feed TOTW and have had good experiences, so perhaps i will give that a shot.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The nice thing about California Natural is that it's single protein/single grain (rice). The ingredients are identical except the protein - so if the lamb doesn't work, try the chicken. If that doesn't work, then it might be the rice that's causing the allergy - try home-cooking plain chicken. If that doesn't work, then try home-cooking pork or lamb again. If that still doesn't work, then it's probably not a food allergen; if it does work, try adding rice again to be sure if that's the allergen. You're basically trying to isolate & test each variable. If she appears to have a lot of food allergies, you may have to stick with homecooked.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Just be careful with TOTW and get the Pacific Stream formula. I was looking into possible food allergies with my Jack Rat. I feed TOTW as her her every day food and when I looked further into the formulas I found the "bison" formula contains chicken meal and eggs, which are two very common allergy triggers. I still love the food, and now we think we're dealing with a thryroid problems so I will continue to feed all the flavors. Just be careful when trying things out. I've heard that Natural Balance L.I.D. formulas are great. I used those a treats along with the TOTW PS formula. I would have gone with NB L.I.D. but I already had a bag of the TOTW sitting around and my vet Ok that formula.

Here is my post...it might be helpful to you...
http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-forum/49222-determining-food-allergen.html

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Timberwolf, Addiction and Natural Balance all offer novel protein sources like venison, duck, elk, kangaroo... NB makes some blends specifically for allergic dogs. Wellness Simple Solutions may also be worth checking out.

If all else fails, you may want to consider a raw elimination diet, wherein you start off feeding Rosie on nothing but one protein source (for example, fish) and then slowly add new protein sources, or maybe adding grain. When the allergies start coming back, you'll know what triggered it. If she has allergies even on the sole protein source that you begin with, you can try another one. If she continues having allergies, they likely aren't food-based.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
At one point I thought Max had food allergies and I switched him to NB. We did both the Duck & Potato formula and the Fish & Potato. He did pretty well on both of them. I no longer think he has food allergies so I have since switched him. But they were good foods for him. The fish in particular was nice and made his coat nicer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts