Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I am considering a switch of foods for Baby dog, currently she is eating NB, but I am concenred that plant that makes her food and comes to my area has been involved in 2 major recalls now.. problem is I dont know what else she can eat!

requirments:
-NO grain, none whatsoever, she is allergic to rice even, and VERY allergic to Oatmeal
-Fish can be the ONLY meat source, even a drop of chicken fat or any egg at all makes her super itchy, all red meat and even super novel protiens make her itch
-she is deathly allergic to shellfish, so there can be NOTHING derived from a shellfish source in the food.
-limited ingredient
-consistant, first mate doesnt work for her because the "and/or" list makes the bags too varied, BB is also known for not being consistant in what they say in the food vs what actually is.

are there any other foods that meet these requirments? everything I come across always ends up containing oatmeal; which is really annoying because she reacts worse to oatmeal then she does to wheat lol

attached is a pic of her reaction to a suppliment derived from shellfish..this was the recovery, the reaction was far worse(her whole face and tounge swelled up). so the shelfish thing is VERY importent, there can be no added shellfish derived suppliments.
conehead3.jpg

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If she is in that much danger from food perhaps feeding fresh would work better. The prescription dog food companies paid for a study that showed lots of dog foods labeled as say venison actually contained proteins not listed. Fresh or you could pay the big bucks for the prescription food that according to them is what they say it is! Sure wish I had bookmarked that study as my googlefu is very weak this afternoon!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
afraid fresh is what she was switched FROM lol, I did elimination trials with both fresh and kibble, makes no difference.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I am not suggesting she eat chicken or red meat. I know lots of raw feeders scoff at people that think most dogs haven't allergies and it is just due to nasty kibble. Not me! I am suggesting stick to proteins you know are okay with her but buy fresh and make up your own food, cooked or raw. Then you will know it doesn't have any chicken fat or egg or anything that is bad for her or the equipment not cleaned off properly between runs so there is a bit of this or that mixed with the labeled ingredients.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but the only protien that is OK is fish..nothing else at all, and everything I have read thus far reccomends against feeding a diet of nothing but fish lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a dog highly allergic to chicken and all grains, he has just been transitioned to Acana Pacifica with great results. I really like this god and the ompany that makes it!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Orijen, Acana and Wellness all contian natural sourced Glucsamine and Chond. these are derived from shellfish..its what she reacted so badly too.

the Fromm contains, Eggs, Chicken fat and Chicken liver, all of which she is allergic too lol

the rx diets are worse..this is the first ingredients in medi-cal HP
Oat Flour allergic, Rice allergic, Duck Meal allergic, Rice Hulls, allergic Vegetable Oil, Natural Flavour,

and in the other HP
Rice allergic, Soy Protein Isolate Hydrolysate, Chicken Fat allergic, Natural Flavour, Dried Beet Pulp, Calcium Carbonate, Monopotassium Phosphate, Soybean Oil

lol

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hm that's tricky. If I were you I would find a animal nutritionist and work out a balanced home cooked diet that has only the ingredients you know are safe.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
she was raised from weaning on raw :) only developed all these allergies in the past year. previously only had sesonal allergies and about 2 years ago developed an allergy to wheat.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ah I see. It's unfortunate the raw diet didn't work for her. I hope you can find something new that agrees with her. My previous dog was allergic to lamb and we had similar issues as some foods contain protein sources without listing them... it can be very difficult finding the food that works.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My newest Siberian has been an absolute trial with food intolerances. His were not showing up on him physically... But were effecting him from the inside out (got to the point where he was screaming in pain if he was touched or tried to jump,) his gait got very odd, and his fur started to fall out. So the raw didn't work for her? Even avoiding those foods you've listed?

I fed Rodeo kibble in the beginning because I never had raw fed a puppy before. We had issues from the start... We tried everything and anything. Put him on raw (chicken and pork mainly) and nothing got better... Finally tried one of those stupid premades I swore I would never buy... lone and behold within 6 hours of having his first Venison/lamb premade patty he was a different dog. Over the next few weeks he improved everyday. $60 for ONE dog wasn't cutting it and I tried every stupid LID kibble I could find and nothing worked. So- I found a company who sells ground venison/bone for a very affordable price and he's been on that since. He's OK with turkey and hasn't shown any reaction to the green tripe we tried.

This may not offer you any answers but I would try looking into raw again. Kibble did not work for him at all. Even avoiding anything we thought he may possibly be allergic to.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I havent tried strictly raw avoiding all her allergens thus far because everything I have read says NOT to feed an all fish raw diet, even the premade fish patties say not to feed them for more then one meal a day, and fish is litterally the "only" meat she can eat. I would rather not make her sick from mal-nutrition! she eats the NB right now and I suppliment it with fresh raw fish, and she is doing fabulous, I am just concerned about the recalls at the plant her food his made in.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't want to feed a raw fish diet either. I am sure it is possible to avoid the various pitfalls in raw but fish is also extremely low in mineral content and you would need to figure out how much of what to add. A cooked fish diet would be sheer torture for me, I dislike the smell of it so.

I was wondering if working up a diet of tilapia/catfish/salmon with potato/tapioca/turnips or whatever could work for her.

How about that California Natural product? No egg, chicken, red meat or glucosamine/chondroitin I can seel in it.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that Cal Nat looks OK, I will have to see if its available here, there is only one store here that carries Cal Nat(all the others dropped the line when P+G took over) so I will have to look and see if they carry that specific one or can get it in :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts