Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not talking about anything "official". There must be some official good stuff out there, but what I know is that when I tried to give Homero some dog "cookies" he pretty much saw me like saying "what is that and what do you expect me to do with it?" xD

Currently I am starting to train him and I am usin a can of treats which I fill with: a lot of 1/4s Ritz cookies, some other cookies called "Daisy" and some "ruffles".

It is working, but I want to add more variety to the can.

Which treats you use when you wanna prize your dog? :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Many dogs don't like the bready treats. Try a meaty treat like dried liver or something.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I really like using cooked chicken breast. It isn't greasy and shreds just like string cheese.

I also like cooked pork loin. We don't much care for it leftover and Max loves it.

Since your dog likes bready stuff try making a cheese sandwich. I put a half a slice of cheese on one half the bread slice, fold over and mash flat then microwave until cheese sticks the bread together. Cut into strips then you can pinch off bits for treats. I like strips for treating so I can pick it up easier if I spill! I am allergic to peanut butter, that would work well too.

Max adores dried liver, look for dried lung as well.

I prefer to use wet treats so they go down easier.

There are loads of good 'official' dog treats out there. Max mostly won't eat them. He won't eat hot dogs, a classic dog treat that can be sliced very thin and dried out so they keep well.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
string cheese, nuked weenies, cheerios, zukes (esp. Z filets) Milo's Kitchen Chicken meatballs (made in USA, though one of their products - I think it is the jerky - comes from China) Any of the freeze dried treats from Bravo (expensive)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I used cooked chicken or fish and frozen peas. My old dog loved raw carrots, red bell peppers and cabbage, as well as chicken.

·
Registered
281 Posts
avoid the ritz crackers, and excess carbs in general. For treats I use cut up hot dogs(in tiny pieces), or trader joes organic chicken and brown rice treats.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use a variety of cut up hot dogs, liver, dog biscuits (broken into tiny pieces,) sliced cheese -rolled into little balls. I usually make a mix of these to put in my training bag. My dogs loooovveee hot dogs. I've found that if I mix it up with other stuff it makes them work harder and always hopefull that the next treat will be a hot dog!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hehe, interesting replies :D

Liver would probably give a different look to the jar :p .

Maybe he would like cheese sandwich xD. though all the cheese talking made me want some *drool*

Sausage sounds controlable for nice little chunks like tha cheese.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I've used hot dogs as high value treats as they are super smelly and squishy. I cut them into tiny pieces.

I've baked my own liver treats, tried it with kidney too but it didn't work as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Humm I should see if homero likes hotdogs better than cupcakes xD, that seems to be his favorite treat now, I integrated it today :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Cupcakes? Like, people cake cupcakes??

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would try and avoid people food like crackers and cake, it isn't good for them. Especially sugary foods like cupcakes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cupcakes? Like, people cake cupcakes??
People´s, but not this kinda cupcakes:

The cupcakes he is eating are like this one:

(photo of actual cupcake)

My grandma has given him this ones from time to time since a lot of time.

The crakers are Ritz

·
Registered
943 Posts
Please STOP feeding your dog cupcakes, cookies and ritz crackers! This is a DOG, not a little kid, and dogs SHOULDN'T be eating stuff like that on a regular basis. Holy I'm surprised you haven't made that dog terribly ill yet.

If he doesn't like normal dog treats, try looking up some recipes for homemade dog treats, or use some of the suggestions above.

When I was training my dogs, I used goat cheese, frozen-thawed green beans, apple slices, plain cooked meat (with a touch of garlic powder - NOT garlic salt) dried liver, etc. I never do hot dogs becuase of the preservatives, or any cured meat.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
To train Holly, i normally use her ball, she loves her ball and will do anything for it!, but sometimes i use cheese and chicken too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please STOP feeding your dog cupcakes, cookies and ritz crackers! This is a DOG, not a little kid, and dogs SHOULDN'T be eating stuff like that on a regular basis. Holy I'm surprised you haven't made that dog terribly ill yet.
What would "regular basis" mean to you? The cupcakes are only rarely given to him, like once every 2 weeks or more time in between. The dog never had a problem with them that I am aware.

Ritz I just started giving him, but idk, I may stop. My mother says it shouldn´t do anything to him but you honestly got me worried. Nothing have happened to him so far in this 3 days (he has his normal dog food, the ritz arejust the treats) but now I am honestly confused in what to give him.

I guess I´ll ask a vet when I can, but when I try to look up what can I give him, milk and derives are even said to not be good for them, but I read a lot ofpeople giving them cheese and I would guess they haven´t had problems with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the dried yams and chicken/duck from Canyon Creek. Also, fruit is great in moderation, my lab loves bananas for some reason.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I like the dried yams and chicken/duck from Canyon Creek. Also, fruit is great in moderation, my lab loves bananas for some reason.
Be careful. The chicken has been making lots and lots of dogs very sick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts