Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my dogs are in need of a good food. We've tried blue buffalo but it gave them diarrhea and they didn't seem to like the taste. The only thing we have had any luck with has been Rachel Ray's. Thanks, Jack, Huck, and Theo

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What other brands have you tried? Rachel Ray's is an OK food but overpriced, IMO. It's possible you were giving them too much of the Blue. . .it's fairly rich and they don't need as much of it. Plus you need to give any new food at least a month for their tummies to get used to it (unless they have a really severe reaction). What's your price range?

A few I think are worth trying: Canidae, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Taste of the Wild, Diamond Naturals, Innova (EVO and regular), By Nature, Wellness, Kirkland Premium (CostCo brand. They also have a good grain-free food but I don't know the name of it), Merrick, Whole Earth Farms, Natural Balance, Solid Gold.

Of course no one food is right for all dogs so you'll probably need to experiment a bit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My dog didn't do well on Blue either, too bad because it's a decent food. Loose stools and he would never eat those little life-source bits, used to drive me nuts! I'm also curious if you were unintentionally overfeeding which would explain the diarrhea. Which formula were you feeding?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not sure if anyone else does it, but I mix a few different brands of kibble together (all grain-free of course) this way I can ensure a good variety and balance in certain ingredients and if there's one brand that if solely fed and react in a negative way the symptoms will usually not reoccur if mixed with another brand.Its never good for dogs to eat too much or too little of certain ingredients and not all brands carry same ingredients/nutrients as others. The majority of my dogs' diets contain raw beef, bison, elk, lamb, and rabbit, but to help keep costs down I do feed them a small portion of kibble as a meal at night, and i've had good/bad experiences with several brands, but I'm currently feeding a mixture of Acana Ranchlands (beef, bison, lamb), Acana Grasslands (lamb, duck, egg, fish) and NOW!- adult formula which contains a huge variety of ingredients such as turkey, potato, flax, salmon, duck, coconut oil, pumpkin, banana, berries, cottage cheese, and a variety of veggies, and I've been having the best luck on this mix than I have on any other brand previously.

One of the top 10 lies you've ever heard from a vet or anyone is that "keeping your dogs diet consistent is important". Dogs never eat the same thing over in the wild, just like us, it is extremely important to keep variety in their food and treats.

:)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I do mix my cats' kibble but for the dogs I just switch brands every bag. Mixing takes a lot of time.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you go through and how often but its not time consuming for me to mix at all, I dump a bit out of each bag into a large plastic container which will usually last a week or so, and just measure out and feed out of that, takes only a few minutes to dump a bunch into the container to refill each week

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
There's no best food. I've heard lots of dogs having gastro problems on BB, however some thrive on it.

I am really happy currently with Natural Balance (Lamb & Rice). So is my dog -- first kibble he devours when I pour in the bowl, he truly loves it. And is doing well on it in other aspects -- poop, eyes, energy, breath, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dog got so SICK off of Blue Buffalo, I felt so bad for him. We tried Innova, no one seemed to keen on that (we have two dogs, a cocker and a beagle/basset mix). We've used Nutrisource, several of my friends and I really love this stuff. I wanted to try something different so we switched to Earthborn Primitive Natural and OMG these guys can't get enough!! And that is saying something because my basset mix is so picky about everything, he turns his nose up to pretty much every dog food we've tried aside from this one. :D Try it! And its grain free and super high quality food <3

·
Registered
538 Posts
There are alot of good dog foods that look great on paper but only if the dogs will eat it.

You have to do trial and error. You might try getting samples and doing taste tests. SOme smaller indy pet stores (at least, in my area) often have sample sizes. I would ask. Or ask from the manufacturer. They will usually send you some for free. Beats chancing it on a big costly bag.

I rotate my dogs food. I don't mix it all up, I feed one bag at a time. Right now, they are eating Natural Balance Alpha (grain free) the chicken/rabbit version. Next on the list is Holistic Selects. I believe in balance over time. We also do raw but not as often as kibble.

There are a lot of great foods. Holistic Selects, Innova, Natures Variety(which is a kibble with a freeze dried raw coating), Natural balance, Taste Of the Wild, California Natural, Wysong (only if you are rich or are feeding a teacup chihuahua lol), chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, Wellness, Solid Gold, and the list goes on.

Read labels, rotate foods (rotate animal proteins), and try samples. Thats my advise :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm very surprised that Orijen and Acana have not been mentioned as good foods yet?

Although they are on the higher end of cost, they are definitely high quality. I know of many dogs that get runny poops from Orijen (but I've heard that is from over-feeding, common because it's so rich, and so little actually needs to be fed), and that most dogs handle Acana very well (I'm referring to the grain free formulas).

I've never tried Blue Buffalo, but I've heard it is on the low end of "high quality" kibbles, but obviously still better than a lot of crap kibble out there.

This is just my experience and what I've learned so far, hopefully it helps a little :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would recommend Tuscan Natural. Its a newer food, made with extra virgin olive oil. I switched to it a couple of months back and my Boston terrier and she LOVES it. I was very pleased with how easy the transition went from what I was feeding before. You should give it a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts