Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my research is correct I think I've figured out what I should be looking for in a good dog food for Yorkies. However I would like recommendations. I found three brands that seemed to be good, I read that Yorkies need a dry dog food rich in protein with fish oil, and no corn or soy. I would like to know your opinions on theses brands and others you can suggest to me. I would like to get two or three types for variety.

Natural Balance L.I.D Limited Ingredient Diets Sweet Potato and Chicken Formula Small Breed Bites.

Diamond Naturals Small Breed Puppy Formula.

Hills Ideal Balance Small Breed Natural Chicken and Brown rice Recipe Puppy.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You can feed almost all dog food to a puppy as long as it's "all life stages". Yorkies don't need anything special in food, unless I'm wrong only large and giant breed dogs need to have special diets to watch their intake of certain minerals. Some foods are physically larger then others, Farmina has some huge kibble, Annamaet not so. I would go slowly feeding anything, switching foods often to a dog you have no history on can cause problems ... if the pup gets the runs - is the old food, new food or a health issue. Feeding one food for a long while helps determine if it is a good food for your dog.

Other brands - Annamaet, Victor, Dr Tims, Farmina (if their small bites formula is small enough), Acana and Orijen are names that come up all the time. Also, some people here feed the "standard" foods like Purina and the like. Having a small dog actually means you can spend more money on food without going broke but I wouldn't buy a huge bag to save some money as it can go bad by the time you get to use it up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree with Dog Person. You don't need any special diet requirements for small breeds. I personally feed my Chihuahua "Annamaet". The kibble is very small, I like the company, and my dog loves the taste.

I've also had good results with Wellness Trufood. The kibble is very tiny too. Acana's old formulas worked for my dog but the kibble is kind of big, I know a lot of adult small dogs who won't eat it because it's too big, so it might not work out for a small breed pup.

I know a lot of people who love and swear by Purina Beyond if you're looking for a food that's available just about anywhere. I've only used their canned stuff but I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Natural Balance: No need to put a healthy puppy on a limited ingredient food. In addition meat is not the first ingredient and it should be.

Diamond Naturals: Diamond has a significant recall record. From an ingredient standpoint this is an OK food but nothing great.

Ideal Balance: Chicken is the first ingredient but once the water is extracted the weight goes down significantly. Then you have rice, brewer's rice and barley before you get to chicken meal, then more grains and pea protein. There's hardly any meat in this food it's all grains and plant matter. And the price is way too much for what's in it.

If you want a small kibble, Health Extension Little Bites is a nice all life stages food, Earthborn puppy is another good one, as is Fromm Gold puppy. Fromm 4 Star grain free line is all life stages and has very small kibbles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to either get Fromm Gold Puppy or Chicken Soup for the soul puppy. Which one is better? The prices are close and my local pet store sells them both. And would anyone have any idea on how long a 15lb bag would last a yorkie pup? There's a good chance I'm getting a puppy from a breeder this week so I need to be prepared.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I like Fromm as a company and the food is overall good. 15 lbs will last a yorkie puppy a long time, so I suggest either a 5 lb bag or putting portions into zip top freezer bags and freezing until needed so that the fats don't go rancid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts