Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this forum is a source for a lot of dog owners to express they're anxt about raising dogs. My pup is 7 months old and I've had him since he was 7 weeks old, you could say we've bonded quite closely since its just me and him. He is of the livestock guardian breeds and he is actually a really good boy. However, i notice that he gets anxious fairly often and I think it has something to do with our living area. Its small... The backyard is pretty big and is well fenced in, however when I am away at work he is only let out every so often for a short period of time when it is raining, and living in Seattle it is daily. Another issue is that he gets defensive when someone enters our living area, such as my roomates or my landlord. He's great in nutral areas with other dogs and people but even someone who is not a threat can set him off in our area "domain". I think the solution is to find a new house with a room for rent which can offer greater space for him to roam around and be independant. Otherwise I think i might have to re-home him =(((( Does anyone have any imput?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Or, you could exercise him.
He's a guardian breed, meant to be naturally wary of strangers anyway, but the more he stays cooped up in just the house and the yard, the more protective he's going to become of that space.

Are you walking him at all now? If so, how much? Exercise is a daily thing. It has to happen, rain or shine.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You said he's of "livestock guardian breed" he may need more exercise than the average dog. Two walks a day may help.
Also, there is training you can do to help him greet visitors to your house politely. One way to do this is train him to go to a certain spot when visitors come over. It's known as "go to mat" training. Search the forum for "greeting politely at the door."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts