Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 month old American Bulldog mix, in the process of traning him and its going really well at this point...however i want to get him a companion he just adores the labs that live across the street but they dont see each other much, i also dont want to jump into it too soon and dig my own grave and affect his training, i was thinking when hes about 1.5-2 years of age is a good time to add another dog... any insight?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know that there is an age limit. What problems do you foresee if you get another dog now?
I know there is not an age limit, i am just worried about the training, i guess my question should be what age can you consider a dog mature enough where you dont have to focus 100% of your time on traning them, obviously will still have to stay consistent with your dog but if i was to bring in a new puppy i would want my dog to somewhat be a mentor and i want to be able to focus most of my traning on the puppy, i just see it hard with two puppies...because one puppy is definatly a handful.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I found that 2 puppies are actually easier than one because they keep each other company. I got my first two puppies (litter mates) at the same time. The second two came 7 months apart and are 5 months apart in age. I don't spend 100% of my time training anybody. I have short sessions every day with each dog. It's no problem whatsoever.

Having said all that, if I were following your line of thinking, I'd think a 6-8 month old puppy would be a fine age to bring in another puppy. I would prefer they be at approximately the same age so they would play well together.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know that there is an age limit. What problems do you foresee if you get another dog now?
I have just read its MUCH harder to train two young dogs, ex: buying two puppies at a time; my moms friend got two minurature snouzers at the same time, she said it was impossible to train them, they just wanted to wrestle with each other 24/7

I would wait until about 1.5 years when you are very satisfied with your dogs training, and during that time socialize your dog very well at parks / dog beaches so when the new one arrives he will be ok with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts