Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Wally's becoming a full-grown adult dog, time to switch to an adult food. Since it's time to switch, I figured I give a shot with Innova. I like the ingredients and it's got a good rating on that dog food analysis.

So I have to mix it in slowly? *sigh* Oh well, I guess there'll be plenty of time to see if the new food shows any difference in him :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yes, make the switch over 10 days. Usually, it's 7 but since Innova is pretty rich, you want to make the switch at a slower pace. So on the first day, feed 1/5 Innova, 4/5 current food. Feed this for 2 days. Then 2/5 Innova and 3/5 current food for 2 days and so on until he's fully on Innova. If he has diarrhea, keep him on a lower proportion of Innova until it settles. I hope he likes it!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great choice! I had my dogs on Innova Evo when they were on kibble and they did great...I do agree with switching it over a little slower than normal as Innova is a very rich food. It took me 14 days to completely switch my little guys over to it when I was feeding it.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, cool. 10-14 days. I can do that :)

I think he'll like it. When it first came, I wanted to see if he would take to it, so I gave him about 15 kibbles (small bites since he's a small dog) and he went right to it and ate 'em up :D

Sounds promising.

I've often heard that Innova is rich (and the Evo variety even more so). Is it because its such pure ingredients?

Thanks for the advice and info. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, not much in the way of fillers in the Innova foods.

You most probably won't need to feed the same volume per meal/day with Innova. Probably count on reducing volume by 10% or maybe more depending on your dog.

A slow switch really is better for them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm doing a slow switch to EVO as well and so far so good...sorta. We measure out Mojo's food in the morning and then let him eat for 10 minutes 3 times a day. He eats around his old food (even picks it out of the bowl and puts it on the floor!) to get to the EVO first. Right now he pretty much has EVO for breakfast and then eats CS for lunch and dinner lol

·
Registered
500 Posts
Since Wally's becoming a full-grown adult dog, time to switch to an adult food. Since it's time to switch, I figured I give a shot with Innova. I like the ingredients and it's got a good rating on that dog food analysis.

So I have to mix it in slowly? *sigh* Oh well, I guess there'll be plenty of time to see if the new food shows any difference in him :)
Innova is one of the best foods out there, good choice!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems he'll take to the Innova really nicely. It's been a week with the mixed food and no problems with his potty habits or poo consistancy.

Almost time to start feeding straight Innova. So my next question:

Right now, he's getting 1/3 cup once a day. Should I leave him at that since it's such a small amount, or maybe give him a 1/4 cup?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Before decreasing the amount of food you give your dog I would wait to see how he does on 100% Innova. If he gains weight than decrease the volume, but you may not need to and you wouldn't want your dog to loose weight if he doesn't need to.

I had my dog on Innova and had to feed her less and the kal/cup is dense. My dog did awesome on it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I switched my dog over to Innova food, and i love it. he has a lot of energy, his coat is fluffy and not greasy or anything, and my favorite part is that his poop doesn't smell a bit :] My pup did fine on a switch over 7 days, but I think his diet had been so rough beforehand that he didn't mind it one bit. He eats it right up!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mojo was getting 2/3 cup Chicken Soup (min. recommeded amount) and we continued giving him that amount while doing the switch. The very last of the mix is in his bowl now and once that's gone he'll be 100% EVO. I noticed that as there was progressively less CS and more EVO in the bowl, he wasn't finishing his full 2/3 cup every day. EVO has a min. recommendation of 1/2 cup so I plan to start with that--there are 537 kcal per cup of EVO and 348/cup of CS so even with the decrease he'll be getting more calories.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before decreasing the amount of food you give your dog I would wait to see how he does on 100% Innova. If he gains weight than decrease the volume, but you may not need to and you wouldn't want your dog to loose weight if he doesn't need to.

I had my dog on Innova and had to feed her less and the kal/cup is dense. My dog did awesome on it!

Just made the switch to 100% Innova and I'm feeding 1/3 cup still (his usually portion).

I know one thing - he loves the stuff! Hardly picked his head up out of the bowl. :eek: :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mojo isn't quite eating a full 1/2 cup per day. He eats most of it, but there is just a bit left at the end of the evening. With the calorie difference though (232 on CS and 268 on EVO) , I think he's really getting about the same so I'm happy with it.

He's also really liking the EVO and I'm happy with the difference in his stool.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I switched our dogs to Innova Evo a few months ago. Because of the difference in the number of calories/cup between the different foods, I had to cut both of them back by about 1/3 cup/feeding... and they both still gained about 2 pounds each. I was amazed. So now I'm cutting them back a little more. You really have to check the calorie differences to figure out how much to feed your dog.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, since I still have both bags handy - I plan to do that before his next meal.

Also, is it normal (or should I be too concerned) that he's pooping quite a bit less?

Before he would poop around 6-7pm (second long walk of the day) and sometimes in the morning around 11 am (first long walk) and now and then at 12 am (last walk before he's in for the night to sleep).

Now, it's once a day at the last walk - about 18 hours after his meal instead of typically 12-13 hours.

Typical? It's a regular interval (I could bet money on it and not lose a bet) and the poops still look usual for him.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, since I still have both bags handy - I plan to do that before his next meal.

Also, is it normal (or should I be too concerned) that he's pooping quite a bit less?

Before he would poop around 6-7pm (second long walk of the day) and sometimes in the morning around 11 am (first long walk) and now and then at 12 am (last walk before he's in for the night to sleep).

Now, it's once a day at the last walk - about 18 hours after his meal instead of typically 12-13 hours.

Typical? It's a regular interval (I could bet money on it and not lose a bet) and the poops still look usual for him.
My guess is the smaller quantity of food, and the lack of fillers in the new food are contributing to less waste as his body is using more of the food. (This is a good thing)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts