Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 3 and a half month old goldendoodle puppy. He is very new to my home so is not completely settled or comfortable, but I have learned a couple of things about him that I feel need immediate correction. He is a really good boy overall and is super friendly. He loves everyone and wants to go up to every person he sees and give them kisses. He is also very lazy and calm most of the time, especially for a puppy. The main issue is that he HATES being picked up if he is laying down. Although I understand it’s important to listen to your dog and what he wants, he is a puppy and I have children so I would like to get him more comfortable being handled. When you pick him up when he is laying down he will growl and show his teeth and bite hard, drawing blood sometimes. It’s very strange because he is not aggressive any other time. He is even perfectly fine being picked up if he is standing up. If he is standing up and you go to pick him up and he doesn’t want picked up (usually if he knows you’re going to put him in the car), he will lay down so you don’t get him, then if you try to pick him up again he does the same thing. I really don’t know why he is like this as he is fine being held, but only sometimes. I feel like he just has no tolerance for doing things he doesn’t want to do. The other thing is he bits constantly, and hard. He doesn’t bite when he greets strangers which is good, but if you’re tiring with him and petting him, he wants to bite your hands constantly. I know this is normal puppy behavior however he bites really hard and more than any puppy Ive had, and I’ve had two other goldendoodles and a lab since they were puppies. Please help me determine the best ways to correct these behaviors!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts