Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always loved Goldens, since knowing one as a child i have wanted one.
I love everything about them, but i know they are high energy.
Im trying to find out how much exercise they need and what that means in the real world.
So for those of you who own them, or dogs of a similar energy level, what does it require for you to keep them happy? how much exercise a day?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The general guideline for exercise requirements are: High energy 10-15 mile run/walk each day, Medium energy 5-10 miles per day Low energy 1-5 miles a day. Keeping in mind that mental exercise/stimulation is just as important. One hour of basic obedience can be just as tiring as a one hour run and is a good substitute on certain days or even every other day.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have a friend that used to breed Golden Retrievers. Her dogs were absolutely lovely dogs and very well behaved. She was not however, a real active person. She did own a large enough piece of land for the dogs to run on and the dogs got to run along with us when we would go trail riding with the horses. Her dogs were not the real hyper hunting lines though. The dogs ran on the land, we occasionally took them for walks on leash and they would also go to places like Petco and such for socializing. They were wonderful, well adjusted dogs. I loved them.
I do think well bred Golden's are getting harder to find. I think there are just far too many people breeding and the quality has gone way down. Be careful as to where you get your dog from, should you chose to get one.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
that looks like a very good breeder.

does health checks, breeds structurally sound dogs, nice coats(not overdone).

It would be nice to see some performance titles on the dogs, but that's my prerogative not yours.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The general guideline for exercise requirements are: High energy 10-15 mile run/walk each day, Medium energy 5-10 miles per day Low energy 1-5 miles a day. Keeping in mind that mental exercise/stimulation is just as important. One hour of basic obedience can be just as tiring as a one hour run and is a good substitute on certain days or even every other day.
Wow... I consider Basil to be medium energy (Lays around a bit, but also fairly active and playful) and a half a mile of brisk walking is perfect for him. I can't imagine running for up to five miles with him, and that's low energy??

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I didn't know Goldens were considering high energy. I know both performance and conformation goldens and they aren't high energy at all.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
As an owner of an extremely high energy dog, I agree with some of this, and disagree with some.

Tiring Rocky out physically is not an option. Not even close. There have been days I far surpassed that 15 miles of hiking and he had no inclination to stop. I have found, however, that if you can train your dog to either pull your bike or heel really well next to a bike while running you can drastically cut the time commitment down. If I get Rocky out on about a 3-5 mile bike he will be at a manageable energy level. This is 3-5 miles of all out sprinting for him. At that point, obedience training and mental games are enough to keep him in line.

With truly high energy dogs (which I don't agree that a golden is), you need to be creative and committed, or they will walk all over you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Our almost 7 year old golden calmed down tremendously after he turned 3, now he's medium hyper, but only when he see's people, dogs, food, or his toys. He is extremely food motivated. Does everything he is told, as long as he's treated for it. No food, he's not interested. He's the best dog I've ever had, but I think I have said that so far about all the dogs I've ever owned. A golden puppy is alot of work. We went to several training classes with him, and he was always the pup used as the example of what not to do. When he was younger, my family would go to bed at a normal hour, but I'd be up with him playing ball until he was tired enough to sleep - so just be prepared. Dont know if this is breed related, but ours LOVES his butt scratched. And if you aren't playing with him and his toys, he will grab you around the leg, with his paws until you either fall or pay with him. Here are some "negatives" about the breed. They shed - but I really don't even notice the tumble weeds around the house anymore. They are prone to ear infections, skin problems and mass cell tumors. But they are wonderful dogs - and as someone said to me - they are dogs on "training wheels" for those who have never owned a dog before. Gotta go - my golden is telling me its walktime

·
Banned
894 Posts
I have always loved Goldens, since knowing one as a child i have wanted one.
I love everything about them, but i know they are high energy.
Im trying to find out how much exercise they need and what that means in the real world.
So for those of you who own them, or dogs of a similar energy level, what does it require for you to keep them happy? how much exercise a day?
2+ hours a day at the dog park plus a few hours at the river each week (swimming or hiking) keeps Maggie happy and tired.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies, I think i could handle the exercise requirements of a golden. so i will keep looking into breeders and hopefully add one to my family one day :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts