Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though most people would suggest waiting until Molly is much older to adopt another dog, we feel we are up to any challenges that may present themselves. We think Molly would love a playmate, and we are in a good position to adopt a dog who really needs a home. We probably won't be getting Molly spayed for another 2 months, I think thats enough time for her to get used to the new dog, so there won't be that added stress when she gets spayed.
So we're going to a local shelter on Sunday, to look around and maybe bring home a new family member. We'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I wish you luck finding a new dog. However it would probably be easier on you and Molly if you would wait until after she is spayed. The reason being is that you will have to keep them separated after her surgery, which will be difficult for her because she will want to play with her friend. Once her incision has healed bringing in a friend would be much easier. IMO

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good for you! It is so wonderful that you are choosing the shelter. So many puppies and dogs are just waiting for their forever home there:(

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we went to one of the local shelters and walked a couple dogs... They were nice, but I wasn't really feeling any strong feelings one way or the other, and Molly didn't like either of them. Not sure if it was due to the fact that they were the same size as her (there weren't any dogs smaller than she is), or if she just didn't like them. She tends to like smaller dogs and not like dogs that are the same size as she is, or larger. So we came home without a dog. Tomorrow we're going to go to a different shelter, and hopefully they'll have some smaller dogs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, we've introduced Molly to 3 different dogs, from a couple different shelters and she didn't like any of them! Molly tends to like dogs that are smaller than she is, and is shy and nervous around dogs her size or larger. So far we haven't found a small dog that we would want to adopt (most of the dogs in the shelters here are large). So we had her meet a few that were just her size or a tiny bit smaller, but she seemed scared and pulled away from them when they sniffed her.
She was a bit friendlier with one, but when we inquired further about the dog we were told that the shelter does not test the dogs' reaction to cats, and since we have a cat, we decided not to bring home a dog that might want to chase or kill him.
What kind of a reaction do you look for from your dog when meeting a new dog, that tells you this would be a good playmate for your dog?

·
Banned
749 Posts
I do not have a second dog for Lola and I do not have any plans on getting her a playmate dog. She already has Mugsy my cat.

However to answer your question I have taken Lola to the dog park many times. There are some regulars there both owners and dogs. If I were to choose a playmate for Lola I would choose one that she likes to play with a lot and there are a few there. One in particular she really plays with a lot and she is twice Lola's size. They like to chase each other and wrestle each other. They keep each other very active. So if the shelter has a play area preferably an outdoor one you could really see how they interact with each other.

I think that if your dog and the prospective dog hit it off from the get go then that would be the dog that you would probably want. You might also bring a couple of your dogs toys with you to see if they like to share. If they do not want to share toys then you might want to consider another dog that does even if they get along in every other way. One thing you do not want is a dog that is possessive of it's toys, especially when you are not home to supervise them playing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts