Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on June 21st! We will be bringing Luna to meet and greet candidates to be her big brother. I'm SO excited. :D

The dog we're most interested in is a 3 year old male. Hopefully he will still be there on June 21st... we can't go sooner because we're going out of town and it wouldn't be fair (or a good idea!) to adopt a dog and then immediately leave. If he is not there, there are several other good dogs looking for homes. If none are compatible with us we will just wait until we find the right one.

Provided everything works out and he settles in okay, we will begin obedience classes the second week of July. Luna will be attending the advanced class (provided she graduates beginners on Monday) with me and the new Rottie will be attending the beginning class with my hubby.

Woo hoo!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good for you for adopting one of my favorite breeds.

You will abosolutely love your rotty! I know I loved my rotty! :) They are the sweetest, most lovable dogs. Please do post pics of your new guy ASAP!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I'm really excited. :)

The lady who runs the rescue is SUPER nice and helpful. She's already answered a ton of questions from me. Seems like a really great rescue (and I'm pretty sure a Rottie owner on this forum once told me it was a good rescue).

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Yahoo! Are you going to Wisconsin Rottweiler rescue? Which boy are you looking at?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yahoo! Are you going to Wisconsin Rottweiler rescue? Which boy are you looking at?
I am!! We are most interested in Gizmo, but also like Hercules. We will see what Luna thinks. ;-)

The only damper on our excitement is that my mom is dead set against us getting a rottie. (Not that there is anything she can do about it... we are in charge of our own lives, after all). She is extremely prejudiced against them. :( She thinks rotties are killing, drooling machines. :mad: She has said we will not be allowed to bring our Rottie to her house when we visit, and she will not dogsit for the Rottie. I told her that was fine, it was her house and she could decide what goes on there, but we would NOT be visiting without BOTH of our dogs. I also told her we wouldn't be needing her to dogsit. (A friend of mine was visiting at the time we were having this conversation, and the friend piped up and said "I'll watch him!!" The look on mom's face was priceless). We rarely go places without our dogs, anyway.

Most of her problem is that she has boundary issues and cannot accept the fact that she isn't allowed to control my life. She had a similar (though less extreme) response when she found out we were adopting Luna, especially when she figured out exactly what an Akita was. Now she LOVES Luna. She doesn't think we should have two dogs, period. Plus, she can't accept that we're just not golden retriever/lab type people. Additionally, she feels that if we have two many four legged kids, we won't have any human ones. (LOL!) I told her that how many dogs we have has absolutely NO bearing on whether or not we decide to have children.

It's just annoying not to be able to share my excitement with her. I haven't even told her that we're going down to the rescue to (hopefully) pick up a dog on the 21st. She thinks it'll be sometime in the fall. Oh well!

I guess the good behavior of my rottie will have to break through her prejudice. Wait'll we get our CGC. :D

Sorry about the rant... it's just very annoying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts