Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our little shih tzu will be 5 months when we go away for one week. he will be staying with family so I know he will be in good hands. However, I am worried, that he will miss us or forget about us. I will definitely miss him.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
He won't forget you! He may miss you, yes, but dogs are adaptable. Has he been around the family he will be staying with before? If not, I'd try to bring him to their home a couple of times so he can get familiar with his surroundings, and with them.

I hate leaving my dog for vacations. I travelled out of the country this year and I was stressed the entire time knowing if something happened to him, I couldn't get home quickly, and that I had limited communication with my family who was watching him. Stress!!

Things that help me when I have to leave my dog;
-Have whoever is watching him send pictures throughout the day, when possible
-Make sure you leave a detailed list with care instructions (potty routine is important! As are food instructions)
*I always portion out and label my dog's meals individually (breakfast/dinner/any heating instructions) to make things easy and simple
-Call your vet ahead of time and leave your info with them if possible, so in an emergency the caretaker can bring the dog to the vet and not have to deal with billing issues
*Also make sure you leave the address and phone number of an emergency vet clinic
-Send him with a few extra days worth of food, just in case there are any travel delays or anything gets spilled or damaged
-Send him with a few items from home, like his bed, a blanket. I usually send a (lightly) worn shirt with my guy so he has my scent to 'comfort' him, and I've received pictures of him snuggling the shirt, lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tips. We have been visiting where he will be staying so that will help. I plan to write a detail list of his routine. His crate and blanket and a few toys will be sent with him. I love the idea of a worn shirt by me. Wish I could take him!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
He'll be fine, and he won't forget you. It takes longer than that for a dog to forget you! He may pine and miss you for a bit, but he'll adapt. It's just a part of life our dogs have to learn to deal with on occasion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts