Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a hard time with my puppy and her going on the floor. I have had her for a good three weeks and I will take her out but she still goes on the floor. She doesn't really give much sign, I will look away for a second and it was already too late. Or She does one turn and is already squatting, sometimes she will whine or get my attention but sometimes she just doesn't. Also when I take her out she just likes to play, I think she wants to go out but she doesn't do anything for 15 minutes then I take her back in and she goes on the floor. Help?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Young puppies often don't give much signal, it's up to you to watch them every second and take them out on a schedule. Crate train her and use it when you can't watch her. Also make sure you praise her for going in the right spot. Use a cue word like "go potty" when you take her out, let her know you're out there for business and not to play.
You can read the sticky note on House Training for more on this.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hamilton housebroke us pretty quick, but he still has accidents about twice a week (we've had him for 5 weeks - and he's 13 wks old now). The day we brought him home, he didn't go for like five hours and we kept taking him out and putting him on a weewee pad and nothing! I was like "This is amazing! This dog can go so long between pees!" That ended quick. Apparently he was just too busy with checking out new stuff to pee. At first, we took him out every 30 minutes, used "hurry up" as his potty phrase and gave him tons of verbal praise every time he went. We were trying to catch him before he needed to go, since we knew he couldn't ask. We gradually extended time between trips out, and now he can go an hour in between potty trips during the day - though he can go nine hours overnight which is kind of frustrating when he does pee on the floor 10 minutes after he peed outside. We do recognize some signs that he needs to go though - he disengages from whatever he's doing (he's always doing something) and sort of walks away from us, and starts sniffing. Then it's grab him and run out!

We're also teaching him to ring a bell when he needs to go out, which has saved us from poop accidents more than once!! Sometimes we take him out, he pees, and wants to come back in, and 15 or 20 minutes later he's ringing his bell and we're like "Seriously dog?" and take him out and sure enough he's gotta poop! He's not using it reliably for pees (and does use it to manipulate at times), but we do have him "touch" the bell before we go out every time.

Otherwise... the only thing that helps is always having him within arm's reach unless he's JUST gone out - if more than 15 minutes has elapsed since he's gone out he has to be within arm's reach again. We also bought the largest bottle of nature's miracle the store had and uses it liberally when he does have an accident! I'd say now if your pup can go 15 minutes after she just went, if she isn't confined take her out every 15 minutes and praise praise praise every time she goes. If she is going out and not peeing every 15 minutes extend it by 5 minutes at a time until you figure out what her limit is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, over the past couple days she has been getting better, yesterday the only time she had an accident was because she was home by herself for a little bit. Other than that she didn't go on the floor and today she hasn't gone on the floor either. Slowly starting to get the hang of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts