Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much thought/debate/inner struggles about my Senior dog and his food--I decided to try grain free for him. He has some allergies, so I've always avoided corn/soybean and wheat--but never completely grain free. I also took to heart what others shared with me about seniors needing higher protein than the Senior foods offer and found this was one way to increase the protein. But not significantly higher. The Fromm Senior was 23 or 24% and this is 29 or 30%. The fat isn't that much higher.

I picked up a bag of the Fromm Surf and Turf to try--and added a little to his food tonight. He loved it.

I, on the other hand, hate the size of the kibble. It looks like fish food pellets--it's tiny. He's a large dog--and I'm sure there are bigger worries in this world other than kibble size, but it bugs me. Don't know why. The duck/sweet potato wasn't huge kibble, but not nearly this tiny.

I've always rotated bags--duck this bag--chicken next--and so forth--but I think I might have to find another option to mix in so he isn't eating tiny pellets. I also grabbed a small bag of the fowl grain free to try as well and it's the same tiny pebbles. Grrr.

Are the tiny kibbles a "grain free" thing? Are TOTW kibbles tiny? How about Orijen or Acana?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I feed TOTW and the kibble is flat and round maybe close to dime size. It seems larger to me than fish pellets. My Dobie/Rott loves them. Also maybe the TOTW would be easier to digest being smaller and the dog being a senior? :) I began the grain free due to allergies and my one small guy can chew it better as he has a jaw isue from an old injury.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Abbylynn. This stuff is so little, I worry about him choking on it and his teeth not being able to crunch it properly. I may be over-thinking it, but it just bugs me!

I've been wanting to try the TOTW, but I've also been so pleased with the results from Fromm that I've been hesitant to 'stray' (even though I just plan on adding it in to foods we feed--not discard). I think I'll try a small bag and see how it goes. I hate to be so OCD about this, but I am! lol.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
It's ok. I am like that when it comes to some things for my dogs too. :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm currently feeding Fromms and the kibble size is small. To be honest, Dreizehn has only had a problem with it once. I fed him while he was SUPER excited and he started inhaling the food. It wasn't a huge problem but he did seem at one point like he was trying to cough some up as if he ate too fast. Still, it's only happened once and he does amazingly on the food.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I feed my dobe the nutro grain free food. Bigger kibbles and he loves the food. Licks the bowl clean ( No need to wash the dish afterward, he does it for me! LOL) I have tried many different foods with him and I will stick with this one. My husband and I no longer have to wear the gas mask in the house. That alone is one reason I will stick with this food. Just a side note- remember if your dog has food allergies be careful of treats and even heartworm meds you might give them.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes patchwork robot that has happened to one of my dogs. It was not the size of the kibble but the amount of air he was trying to swallow at the same time he was eating. I took the bowl up till he settled down and could eat his food slower.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Patchworkrobot. No doubt the feed is awesome...Love the 'regular' 4 Star line...so maybe I should just get a grip on myself! lol. :) Your dog is amazing--I have admired his pics since I joined this site and was waiting for an opportunity to tell you (without hijacking someone else's thread).

Thanks Luv mi pets. I'm not a fan of Nutro--but I appreciate the input very much. :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm currently feeding Fromm's Surf & Turf mixed with Acana (which is dime-shaped sized, a bit bigger) and also Nature's Variety. I find most of the kibble I feed is quite small but my dogs don't have a problem with it. Cash obviously is fine cuz he's pretty small, I have one of those special bowls for Thumper that helps slow the eating so doesn't affect him either.

TOTW was okay for size, but it gave my dogs horrid gas so I no longer feed it, actually, out of all the kibble's I have fed, Orijen probably has the largest size of kibble - so you could consider mixing some of that in with the Fromm's.

Haha its funny we had the same reaction - I just bought Fromm's for the rest time this week to try and when I opened the bag I was like "WTH??" Fish pellets was exactly what came to my mind too!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm currently feeding Fromm's Surf & Turf mixed with Acana (which is dime-shaped sized, a bit bigger) and also Nature's Variety. I find most of the kibble I feed is quite small but my dogs don't have a problem with it. Cash obviously is fine cuz he's pretty small, I have one of those special bowls for Thumper that helps slow the eating so doesn't affect him either.

TOTW was okay for size, but it gave my dogs horrid gas so I no longer feed it, actually, out of all the kibble's I have fed, Orijen probably has the largest size of kibble - so you could consider mixing some of that in with the Fromm's.

Haha its funny we had the same reaction - I just bought Fromm's for the rest time this week to try and when I opened the bag I was like "WTH??" Fish pellets was exactly what came to my mind too!
lol. Thank you!! I looked at the Orijen yesterday too as well as Acana. That might make me happy--to mix the Orijen with the Fromm so the fish pellets have some substance. lol. Glad I'm not the only one that though it! :) Thanks for your help! ;)

·
Registered
943 Posts
lol. Thank you!! I looked at the Orijen yesterday too as well as Acana. That might make me happy--to mix the Orijen with the Fromm so the fish pellets have some substance. lol. Glad I'm not the only one that though it! :) Thanks for your help! ;)
LOL yeah. I like Acana better than Orijen for the price, they are almost pretty much the same ingredient-wise. Both made in the same plant and by the same company. However, Acana has more grain-free "all life stages" variety. I've rotated through all of Acana's grain-free line and they have a few to choose/rotate through - Ranchlands, Grasslands, Wild Prairie & Pacifica. Orijen's all life stages grain free consists of only 2 - Regional Red & 6 Fish. Although Orijen's kibble is slightly thicker and a big bigger, its very soft and breaks up very easily compared to Acana's harder more compact dime-sized kibble, and its a bit cheaper and you have more selection. Just my thoughts :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL yeah. I like Acana better than Orijen for the price, they are almost pretty much the same ingredient-wise. Both made in the same plant and by the same company. However, Acana has more grain-free "all life stages" variety. I've rotated through all of Acana's grain-free line and they have a few to choose/rotate through - Ranchlands, Grasslands, Wild Prairie & Pacifica. Orijen's all life stages grain free consists of only 2 - Regional Red & 6 Fish. Although Orijen's kibble is slightly thicker and a big bigger, its very soft and breaks up very easily compared to Acana's harder more compact dime-sized kibble, and its a bit cheaper and you have more selection. Just my thoughts :)
Thanks packmomma! Cheaper is better and so is variety! I appreciate all of your help! :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks packmomma! Cheaper is better and so is variety! I appreciate all of your help! :)
Hey no probs.. good luck with whatever you end up trying. I've been a big Acana fan for a while but I very much believe in variety and changing things up, too. I don't like to eat the same thing all the time so I don't make my dogs either. They get their raw meat for supper every night which is always a variety of different proteins so I like to do the same with kibble. How are you liking the Surf n Turf so far? This is my first time feeding Fromm's. I just noticed they have new grain-free varieties now too so I think I'll rotate through their flavors as I hear good things about it and so far my dogs are doing okay on it. I'm a mixer though but when I'm trying new brands or varieties I haven't used before I introduce them one at a time with their current mix just to weed out any issues if there are any. Last month I decided to mix in a grain-inclusive food with 2 grain-free varieties and both got itchy and Thumper got a bald patch on his snout, so no more grains I guess lol..they're back on a pure grain-free diet and everything is normal again..itchiness has gone away and hair is growing back on Thumper's bald spot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a big mixer upper too! I like variety and so do they. Fortunately as well, we don't have issues that are too bad and they aren't picky, so I'm able to make us all happy!

Like the Surf and Turf so far! Trying it on the one dog, first. He gobbles it up and begs for more! lol. I'm a huge Fromm fan--I typically use their Duck/Sweet potato in my rotation (and some other flavors occasionally). I wasn't feeding what I consider bad foods prior (Chicken Soup was the last one I was on) but after two weeks on the duck, it appeared my golden was blowing out old hair. So I am a huge believer and promoter of the food, in general and don't expect any less from the grain free. My main reason for going grain free was the higher protein for him (since he is a senior) but he does have some allergies so I'm hoping for a win/win. I'll gradually change my girls over too since I won't be feeding a senior food and they can all go back to eating the same thing as normal. Much better! :)

I also got a smaller bag of the brown bag grain free Fromm to try....Game bird? Still fish pellet size, but I have to admit, love the way both formulas smell and the color of the kibble. I haven't given him that one yet since I've only been doing a couple of days of adding in the S&T but probably will give him a taste of that tonight. They have 2 more I think? Something like a Tunalini--and then maybe a beef one? So I'm sure we'll try those as well once fully changed over to grain free.

That was one thing I loved about the CS food when it first came out (years ago)--it smelled wonderful. But that has changed drastically in the last couple of years. I like good smelling food and I'm sure they do too!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ya there newest ones are the salmon tunalini and gamebird, they've had the beef frittata & surf n turf previously, and I'm interested to try them all at some point. I'm also starting Nature Variety Instinct for the first time in my mix, I got the duck & turkey one but I really want to get my hands on their rabbit formula which seems impossible to find. The store I usually shop at is one of those mom & pop type pharmacies that sells pharmacueticals for humans, livestock, and pets as well as petfood, toys, etc. Its strange, but they stock a huge variety at better prices - the problem is whenever I am due to stock up on kibble, they never have any of the food in stock I am after, so I end up having to travel to 2 or 3 different places just to find the variety I want lol. There's a pet store I just discovered recently though that is very close to my house called the Bone & Biscuit Co. , supposively ridiculous prices but according to their website they carry all the brands I feed so I hope to check them out next time and hopefully they have what I want in stock! :)

Haha yeah I hear ya about the smell, I'm still hesitant to actually taste the kibble, but hey they both devour their food so all is good. I tend to feed kibble with more bird and fish proteins rather than red meat, because they eat a lot of red meat in their raw diet, the only raw they eat that isn't 'red' is duck and rabbit, so quite often I feed more chicken, turkey, duck & fish kibble and sometimes more of the fishy stuff so it smells kinda bad unfortunately but apparently dogs LOVE smelly stuff lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol on the smelly stuff! My dogs have turned their nose up at real fishy kibble in the past--but love canned salmon topped on their food occasionally. So I somewhat took a gamble on the surf and turf, but I figured with the combo, it might work--and so far, it does! :)

I hear ya on finding what you need. The store I get the Fromm from is the only one in my area that sells it--but they have been stocked each time, so I'm happy with them! It is a more pricey store, but hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! I also discovered they have bully sticks and antlers and haven't found them anywhere else since reading about them here! Those antlers sure look "hard" though...so I didn't plunge into those, yet. May go pick some up today--do you use them? Like them?

I have a pet food store just a few minutes from me and they have a lot of different brands--but not the Fromm, Orijen or Acana. They do carry the TOTW, Canidae, Solid Gold, Wellness, Blue, Chicken Soup and many others there, so I do have options at that store as well.

Wish there was another Fromm dealer though, so I didn't look so obsessed going in there every week or so! lol. :)

And by the way, I am not, nor will I ever be a dog food tester either! If they don't like it, the dogs at the humane society will get it! But I'm not willing to validate their opinions! ha ha.

·
Registered
943 Posts
There was a thread on here a little while ago about the 'taste of your dog's food', I felt like a minority after reading how many people actually taste-test their dogs food. I'm pretty sure my dogs can do that for me lol.

Yes I use antlers - I bought one peice, approximately 8" long for Thumper when I brought him home at 8 weeks old, he's turning 8 months now and he still has approx 4.5" left of it. Cash has taken a liking to it now as well since Thumper has really gotten into it, and they steal it from eachother all the time now, well.. I guess technically they "share" it lol. So two dogs chewing on it every day for the past 6 months and there's still more than half of it left so I'd say its a good investment for an avid chewer. Thankfully, my Dad lives up in the mountains in the bush and deer love hang out around his place and he has tons of antlers fresh off the deer, free, laying around so I will snatch a couple of those once they finally get down the last bit of the one I bought.

Bully sticks are a fav too - but since they are expensive and they don't last long I don't buy as often, but just the other day I decided to buy braided ones - in hopes that maybe it will last a little longer lol. Between the marrow/soup bones from the grocery store, frozen turkey necks, bully sticks and the antler they get a pretty good variety in satisfying their chewing needs - and both my dogs love to chew. Even Cash, now at 6, has broken some of his teeth from chewing on the harder bones - but he has yet to hurt himself or require a vet visit so I let him chew what he wants, when he wants. His teeth are clean, and healthy, besides being cracked or broken he has no infections or pain.. still eats and chews perfectly fine :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw that thread! And I'm with you in the minority! I am not a picky eater--but I'm watching my calories. LOL.

Thanks again for the input. :) I've only found one store here that has antlers, so I'll have to venture out there and give em a whirl for my guys. :) I saw them the other day, but ending up getting bully sticks instead...but they didn't last any time at all! My guys are oinkers! lol. Thanks so much!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts