Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just looking for opinions/personal experiences here. My dog has been on medication for awhile - he was on Prozac and Trazodone but didn't see much in the way of results, however, his (old) regular vet prescribed the Prozac and he wasn't on a therapeutic dose as she wasn't familiar with the medication. We now see a vet in KC in addition to our regular vet, who put him on Paxil and Clonidine; the Paxil was originally at 10mg and then was bumped up to 20 mg, which would be the ideal dose for a dog of his size (28 lbs). We are going back for our yearly exam in a week and there are a couple of issues that I'm planning on bringing up, but I'm not sure if they're medication related or just me being not the greatest trainer.
  1. He's still super, super reactive to noises indoors. He's reactive to things outside the window, too, but I've covered everything with window frosting so he can't see out anymore. I play either music or the TV nearly constantly to try and drown out outside noise, but it doesn't always help. Sometimes I can hear his triggers - car doors shutting, the garbage truck - but most of the time he's just in a frenzy and I don't know why. EDIT: I should include that I live in a house in a neighborhood - not in the city. There are cars that drive by and occasionally people walking but it is not a noisy environment overall.
  2. He's also very reactive to noises that I make and I constantly have to tell him "it's okay, I made that noise." Or, "that was just the cat." I've told my friends that I'm in the habit of saying "ouch" whenever I bump into something because that lets him know it was me that did it.
  3. Walks are a major struggle. He's not only reactive to nearly everything, but his stress level is off the charts. He's fine in our backyard, which has a privacy fence. We're working on the front yard - he's only just started being able to follow cues and take treats in the front yard. Once we leave the property he can't even do a simple "sit" and he won't take even the yummiest steak. He's clearly ignoring me, but it's not in a "obstinate" way; he's just so stressed and overstimulated by everything that he can't focus. I end up having to do a lot of calming work on myself because his stress will very often transfer to me. We walk at lunch time so that we don't see many people or dogs, but even just stepping into the street and away from our house is triggering for him.
So, what do you all think? I'm going to bring this up when we go, but I'm not sure if it's indicative that the medication isn't working so well or that I'm just piss poor at managing his behavior.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Curious....

How do you react when outside hearing these sudden noises?

Do you ignore the "disturbance" and continue the task at hand? or Do you react with petting and comforting the dog?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends.

If I can, I will tell him firmly “that’s enough” and either redirect him to something else or get him to settle on his mat.

If I’m unable to get to him (showering, using the bathroom, washing dishes, etc) ultimately I have to ignore it. However, I can’t ignore forever without trying to interrupt him as he will escalate and get louder and more frantic and can keep going for 10 minutes or more.

·
Banned
625 Posts
hmmmmm........ ok. In my view, you give "attention" to the dog for its reaction. This seems to be similar to a child throwing a temper tantrum.

IMHO, best is to ignore the dog's upset. Just go about your tasks with no reaction or comment or comfort to the dog. Just act like nothing happened. Yes, the fuss may last awhile. But it will end.

Here in China fireworks are common to ward off evil spirits when a new business opens. Many times these ceremonies and fireworks will last several minutes. My MiniS always alerts and looks to me. My reaction is nothing, the dog settles back to what he was doing. Similar reaction to thunder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts