Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really feel like no matter how much I know and learn about dogs, it is bloody useless. About 3 months ago, my hubby's uncle tasked me with helping him find a dog to adopt. Everyday I would spend 15-30 minutes looking at Petharbor, and sharing the links via Email or FB. During these 3 months, I did my best to educate him, going over temperement, socialization, potty training, ect. So, joy of joys, he finds a dog he wants to meet at the shelter! We drive out there, I try to pull up the listing so I can give the worker the ID number..and he's been adopted in the hour it took us to get there.

So we go through the shelter, I point out dogs, encourage him to meet them, ect. He finds nothing, we leave.

Two days later, I share some links with him. Surprise, he got a puppy. An 8 week old ACD. That may not sound too bad, so let me explain.

He is a school admin, his wife is an xray admin, or something. They have two kids, 5 and 1. He has NEVER trained a dog or puppy, ever. The wife was "raised on a farm, she's tough". These are people that are almost never home, have 2 small kids, and don't know the first thing about training a hard puppy.

Why the hell do I bother?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
This makes me sad, I expect to see this pup on petfinder in a shelter once it hits 6 mos ago, my first ACD (the late, great, Izze whizzy) 4 mos to about 2 yrs is the hardest time for ACDs I would suggest to them to join an ACD forum where their knowledgeable ppl who can help with thr troubles he is most likely to have soon

Do you know where they got the dog tho infant imagine it's from a reputable breeder bc I don't think one would sell to a home like that :(

·
Registered
281 Posts
Some people truly aren't interested in learning about the proper ways to take care of a dog, until they have to find a professional and pay a good 300+ bucks to get the dog properly trained, and even that doesn't help always.
And if they don't do that they just send the dog to the shelter.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I feel your pain!!! Oh lordy do i feel your pain. With people like this, honestly sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away, for your own sanity's sake. I was half mad before I just gave up. Destroyed friendships, completely lost confidence in training dogs and was even questioning whether I was doing the right things.

Here's my story.
So I used to live in a small town and I was moving to the big city to study to be a vet tech about 4 hours drive away. I would be living with my fiancees friends(Married) who I knew well until my hubby could come up once he found a job.
When I got there, they had a 5 month old Huntaway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Huntaway. This was in the middle of the big city. A barking working dog in the middle of the big city. They had NO fence, so it was tied up all day and left with a shock collar on. It got a half hour run most days. Maybe a trip to the beach during the weekends. Slept tied outside at night. Its kennel was made out of old crate palates. The dog was free from the wifes sister who lived on a farm. Once she put her foot through a glass door and was so close to slicing her tendon. They wouldnt let me look at it, the wife just rinsed it and taped it up.No vet trip. No matter how I offered training tips and suggestions they were all ignored. They let her chew on my stuff and never said sorry, she would steal dinner from the bench and they thought it was funny. She would beg when we all sat down for dinner and got offended when i pushed her nose off my plate! The worst part is this lady my friend, wanted a baby real bad, and the husband got her the dog as a temporary baby. Mean while I had to save face cos the guy was my fiancees best friend.

Ah man, it feels good to right that down.
Long story short, I understand. It goes in one ear and out the other. Just be there when the dog needs it and it will work out fine.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I feel your pain. I did everything in my power to help my mother pick the right dog when she decided to get a dog FOR my 7 year old sister. She still ended up bringing home a young intact male husky...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I feel your pain. I did everything in my power to help my mother pick the right dog when she decided to get a dog FOR my 7 year old sister. She still ended up bringing home a young intact male husky...
You win. words cannot say how gobsmacked i am at that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts