Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My puppy likes to park or grown at me when she wants to go to bed, I have tried ignoring her but she still does it. How do I get it to stop, I try to ignore her but I end up acknowledging her. I'm I the reason why she still does it? Is it an attention thing? Sometimes is it because she wants to play? If it's the play thing I go to play with her but then she doesn't want to play with me just chew on my clothes.

Also how do I get my puppy to stop jumping up, when I'm eating she will sit there and whine or try to jump up to try and get it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would think that showing a sign that she want to go to bed would be a good thing?? Also what if maybe you give her a kong or something filled with treats at the same time you eat. That would probably occupy her and keep her from begging for your food.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she wants to go to bed she can is what I mean, she keeps telling me that she wants me to go to bed too. I want her to go to sleep herself instead of telling me to take her to bed so we both go to sleep.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I find that If I feed my dogs before I eat they have less of a tendency to want to beg for food ... as they have a full tummy. I also like the kong idea if you prefer to wait to feed after you have eaten. Or you can go the route of " Go to your bed " ... and you can have a certain area and a certain dog bed or blanket that you designate for them ... when it comes time for you to eat yourself. This can be trained also.

Asking to go to bed ... I just say " Not Time" and go about my business. Abbylynn now goes off to her bed in the bedroom by herself, quietly and waits for me to come in for the evening. Dogs can be taught many many things ... it just takes time, training and patience. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a friend who's dog used to bark when he wanted to go to bed (he sleeps in her bed). So she bought a set of stairs for her bed, and now he climbs the stairs and gets under the covers and puts his head on the pillow. Its hysterical!

Pepper will bark at me at exactly 7:15am every morning because he wants me to get up. Not so hysterical on weekends, let me tell you.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel will fuss as me around bedtime some nights, usually no more than 40 minutes early at most. Barking, whining, pawing, putting a sad doggie face in my lap and sighing. I usually just say "soon" or "not time yet" and he'll probably continue to look sad and pathetic but quits the barking, whining, or pawing. Come to think of it this has actually decreased a lot lately to maybe just once a week. He IS listening carefully for the tell tale sounds from my computer that I'm fishing up and going to get up and head to bed any minute. He hears those noises and he's up and running over to me smiling and tail wagging ready to go do our pre-bed routine.

So yeah, your puppy isn't unusual at all. If you don't like the behavior you'll just have to train for the behavoirs you'd prefer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts