Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Why are we spending money to research this stuff? I understand the possible importance of the research behind cloning and stem cell research.. but a glowing dog? Really?? I mean, it's neat.. but the only thing I could see this being useful for is some obscure military use. We could be spending our money on something so much better..:( ..er.. Korea could.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Transgenic research actually has potential to be very useful. They may be able to get pigs and such to grow human organs for transplants and all kinds of other cool stuff. The idea is that jellyfish genes (at least this is the story for similar transgenic chicks and mice) can be expressed in other animals. Pretty cool if you ask me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Transgenic research actually has potential to be very useful. They may be able to get pigs and such to grow human organs for transplants and all kinds of other cool stuff. The idea is that jellyfish genes (at least this is the story for similar transgenic chicks and mice) can be expressed in other animals. Pretty cool if you ask me.
Just as a clarification for anyone who isn't a microbiology/genetics college student/graduate, the reasoning behind the glowing is that the fluorescent gene acts as a tag for other genes. So say you want to insert a gene that protects against some disease and want an easy way to know if the gene inserted. You use a fluorescent tag to show success or failure. I just thought I would clarify that because I know most of my friends who haven't taken a genetics lab class have no idea why scientists make things glow, lol.

Of course, I have no idea why they did it to a puppy. I love science but I completely disagree with the ethics of scientists who do things like that just because.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
that is just terrible. the thought of more animals are being tested for humans to gain a few more years of existence on this earth makes me sick. i feel horrible about this!
no animal should give their lives for us, and sadly it continues.

This is the quote from the article:

"Ruppy is transgenic, meaning she has genes from another animal. Scientists said they hope this will pave the way to model human diseases in dogs, whose relatively long life-span could make them better study subjects than other animals."

can u imagine the life of an animal created to be tested on? i doubt they are allowed to live happy normal lives...how sad and horrifying.

i would rather die in my 40's or 50's than have puppies tested on to prolong my life to 80.

·
Registered
546 Posts
"Ruppy is transgenic, meaning she has genes from another animal. Scientists said they hope this will pave the way to model human diseases in dogs, whose relatively long life-span could make them better study subjects than other animals."
See, I've used this glow method with bacteria and some weird little plant. That doesn't really bother me as I don't think that plants feel pain and suffering like animals do (some apparently do). Making a puppy glow so that humans can study disease is ridiculous, in my mind. Like the world needs humans to live until they're 115...what, just so we can continue to use resources that we can't replace? Humans are far too selfish. Poor dogs :( I've gotten so many lectures in classes about ethics...too bad many scientists don't think ethics apply to animals, too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Two things I feel bad for saying "Cool!" But what did they do to that little girl to get her to glow? That's sad...

that is just terrible. the thought of more animals are being tested for humans to gain a few more years of existence on this earth makes me sick. i feel horrible about this!
no animal should give their lives for us, and sadly it continues.

This is the quote from the article:

can u imagine the life of an animal created to be tested on? i doubt they are allowed to live happy normal lives...how sad and horrifying.

i would rather die in my 40's or 50's than have puppies tested on to prolong my life to 80.
I agree I hope someone will do something about that... Poor guys!:eek:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I'm sorry, but that sickens me. Who knows what's next? I hope that whatever they did to the poor, sweet looking pup doesn't have any effects other than the glow.

·
Banned
58 Posts
A couple things come to mind here...why create more dogs when there are millions in need of homes already? Why would you ever want to cause an animal to glow in the dark? This is wrong, immoral, and dangerous to the poor creature! That is absolutely horrible! This animal will have serious problems when he grows up. They are just adding to the cruelty of animal testing. And, once again, they are adding to the pet overpopulation problem! This puppy will have health problems. The most famous clone (Dolly the sheep) developed progressive lung disease and premature arthritis. Other cloned animals are born with hideous deformities and malformed organs, causing a short life of immense suffering. In addition, The New York Times quoted Lou Hawthorne—the chief executive of GSC—as saying that Tabouli (a cloned Bengal cat) had a “health issue” (conjunctivitis). Why support vivesection? GSC claims, “Our research will add to the body of scientific knowledge about canine and feline reproductive physiology.” Hidden within this statement is the fact that animals will have to endure years of invasive experimentation in cramped cages in laboratories with little to no socialization, all so that GSC can practice scientific quackery to fatten its wallet!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
If the research results a genetic marker which can be followed to help humans OR animals have fewer birth defects I won't be against it.

Genetic markers are, from my understanding, more useful in disease prevention than in prolonging life.

Right now many dog breeds and many mixed breed dogs suffer from hip dysplasia. Breeding two dogs with good hips (OFA) and lines of good hips does not eliminate the problem. What if the tagging markers to genes leads to identifying the gene that is tied to HD?

Now, does this mean I want a dog that glows under UV light? Not really. But that is not what this is about.

·
Banned
58 Posts
This whole story is horrible and cloning animals is horrible! And here is the moment where I become afraid. Translucent means you can see light through it. Red? I remember that when they made the green glowing pigs it was intended to be used as a marker for genetically modified animals so at a glance one could tell which were which, but even that seemed a bit unnecessary. Hmm, a cloned florescent beagle created by scientists in South Korea you say? Didn't they make green glowing kittens awhile back? At a time when the use of dogs and cats in research has been declining (a 50% decline since 1979, according to the CDC), this is a step in exactly the wrong direction. I love all the animals of our planet earth and I believe that animal testing of ALL kinds is barbaric, inhumane and should be outlawed immediately. Leave the dogs alone and let them live their lives as they should.
all I can do is shake my head at this news. What's amazing to me is that animal research doesn't actually tell us as much information as we think it does. Here we go again anything to torture the little pups, and keep them as lab animals.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I love all the animals of our planet earth and I believe that animal testing of ALL kinds is barbaric, inhumane and should be outlawed immediately. Leave the dogs alone and let them live their lives as they should.
all I can do is shake my head at this news. What's amazing to me is that animal research doesn't actually tell us as much information as we think it does. Here we go again anything to torture the little pups, and keep them as lab animals.
Do you want to volunteer your dogs for the rabies trial study? Unfortunatley, some testing is unavoidable.

(Edited to clarify - this is the rabies trial study that Jean Dodds is running to establish rabies as a 5 or 7 year vaccine protocol. It involves vaccinating dogs who will be euthanized and tested after exposing them to rabies after an extended period. Long-term studies like this are expensive because of the need ot house animals long term, and unfortunately, cannot be conducted in a currently accepted scientific way without the step of testing brains.)

·
Banned
58 Posts
Animals have the right to be treated as beings of value in themselves, not as the means to human ends; this principle must be applies in order to guarantee the end of cruelty to animals. The application of this principle means that animals should never be experimented upon whatever the potential gain for humanity. To infect monkeys with the AIDS virus or to expose rodents to toxic chemicals and radiation is simply not acceptable, whatever the supposed benefits. In practice, as everyone knows, animals are not routinely treated well by animal experimenters. Apart from the fact that millions of animals die each year in experiments, others are often not adequately anaesthetised and are abused by handlers and experimenters. It is idealistic to suppose that this will ever stop as long as society endorses vivisection. In fact few breakthroughs have been made as a result of animal experimentation - its advocates have overstated its achievements. There has been a catalogue of errors and failures in animal testing, which its advocates gloss over; as many as half the drugs that have been approved in the US and the UK after animal testing have subsequently had to be withdrawn because of harmful side-effects. Furthermore, there are alternatives to many tests that are currently done on animals - e.g. growing tissue or cell cultures from human cells in the laboratory.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Kristina - human cell cultures don't do much to tell us about side effects or medication interactions, unfortunately.

Additionally, do you REALLY want drug companies to be able to release products onto the market for YOUR pets without having tested them on other animals? Did you miss the whole Pro Heart 6 debacle?

·
Banned
58 Posts
In fact, most animal experiments are done on animals that are nothing like human beings - rats and mice - which undermines the argument that these experiments are a reliable guide to human reactions. Scientifically, as well as morally, most animal experimentation is to be rejected - the reaction of a mouse to a substance is no guide to human reactions. Each species has its own unique physiology. And the more similar an animal is to a human being - e.g. a chimpanzee - the more intelligent and sentient it is, and so the more immoral it is to treat is as a disposable and worthless biological object. The advent of genetic technologies has made possible all sorts of new and horrific acts of animal exploitation, from cloning sheep to creating mutant and hybrid creatures with no dignity or quality of life at all. We should end animal experimentation before things get even worse. It is only acceptable to test human medicines on human beings if they give their consent. Non-human animals are never able to give such consent. It is therefore never acceptable to test medicines on perfectly healthy animals, even if the treatments are for use on other animals.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
So you would give your own pets drugs that had never been tested?

Cait

In fact, most animal experiments are done on animals that are nothing like human beings - rats and mice - which undermines the argument that these experiments are a reliable guide to human reactions. Scientifically, as well as morally, most animal experimentation is to be rejected - the reaction of a mouse to a substance is no guide to human reactions. Each species has its own unique physiology. And the more similar an animal is to a human being - e.g. a chimpanzee - the more intelligent and sentient it is, and so the more immoral it is to treat is as a disposable and worthless biological object. The advent of genetic technologies has made possible all sorts of new and horrific acts of animal exploitation, from cloning sheep to creating mutant and hybrid creatures with no dignity or quality of life at all. We should end animal experimentation before things get even worse. It is only acceptable to test human medicines on human beings if they give their consent. Non-human animals are never able to give such consent. It is therefore never acceptable to test medicines on perfectly healthy animals, even if the treatments are for use on other animals.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a disease that results from a viral infection that damages the immune system. A damaged immune system cannot protect the body from other infections and cancers, and these secondary illnesses are often fatal. There are many strains of the AIDS virus, called the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), with different strains existing in different geographical areas. Billions of dollars are spent annually to combat what has been called “one of the most destructive epidemics in history.” Since AIDS was first recognized in the 1980s, it has killed more than 25 million people, and 40 million people worldwide are believed to be infected with the virus. Not included in that number are the animal victims killed in countless wasteful experiments in an attempt to find a cure. Non-animal clinical, epidemiological, and in vitro studies have successfully isolated the virus that causes AIDS and have demonstrated how the virus is transmitted in people. Clinical evidence shows that AIDS is transmitted through blood, semen, vaginal fluids, and breast milk. The virus dies quickly outside the body, so it cannot be transmitted through the air or through casual contact. Because AIDS can develop years after the initial infection, it is impossible to predict how many people might get the disease.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Foot-and-mouth disease (FMD) or hoof-and-mouth disease (Aphtae epizooticae) is a highly contagious and sometimes fatal viral disease of cloven-hoofed animals, including domestic animals such as cattle, water buffalo, sheep, goats and pigs, as well as antelope, bison and other wild bovids, and deer. It is caused by foot-and-mouth disease virus.

In addition, hedgehogs [1] and elephants[2] are susceptible to the disease. The llama and alpaca may develop mild symptoms but are resistant to the disease and will not pass it on to others of the same species.[2] In laboratory experiments, mice, rats and chicken have been successfully infected by artificial means, but it is not believed that they would contract the disease under natural conditions. [2] Just as humans may spread the disease by carrying the germs on their clothes and body, animals that are not susceptible to the disease may still aid in spreading it. This was the case in Canada in 1952 when an outbreak flared up again after dogs had carried off bones from dead animals.[2] Wolves are thought to play a similar role in the former Soviet Union.[3]

Oh wait, I'm sorry, was this thread about something?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts